Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ] 
 Post subject: Words/phrases to ban in 2004
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:30 pm 

Let's make a list! I'll start: <p>"Fast-forward to..." as in "Fast-forward to 2005, when the last instance of 'fast forward,' indicating jumping ahead to a later time, was stamped out by a testy copy editor in California. Wordsmiths hailed it as an event comparable to the eradication of smallpox."<p>(I'm editing Ellen Goodman at the moment ... she's particularly bad about using that phrase.)<p>Come to think of it, I'm not very fond of things being "hailed," either.<p>[ December 25, 2003: Message edited by: Joann ]</p>

Post subject: Re: Words/phrases to ban in 2004
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:57 pm 

At the risk of posting here what should be under the "Peeve and thank you" topic, here's one that irritates me: "box set" [of CDs or DVDs]. It's not a box set. It's a BOXED set, just like it's a glass of ICED tea, not ice tea.<p>Yet the million-plus-circ. major metro daily where I live did a roundup of holiday gift ideas last Sunday in which "box set" appeared throughout in reference to DVD and CD offerings. At least the paper was consistent and never used "boxed set," but that's all I can say in praise of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:56 pm 

I loathe "remarked," "commented" and so forth used as though they were equivalent to "said."
As in "I've never been so absolutely thrilled and delighted in my life," he remarked. Or "I wish I was dead," he commented. <p>Of course, I work for a paper that routinely prints "He consulted the company" to mean "The company consulted him," so what do I know?<p>[ December 19, 2003: Message edited by: catrandom ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wordygurdy:
It's not a box set. It's a BOXED set, just like it's a glass of ICED tea, not ice tea.<hr></blockquote>
In the same vein, why do we see "the damn thing" so often? <p>My real hope, though, is that we do away with "was/were able to" when not describing ability.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:37 am 

Let's eradicate the beachhead that "going forward" has established on the business pages.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:14 pm 

I'd be happy to see the end of "really." I KNOW the person said it that way, but no story needs this type of quote: "I felt really bad for him, if you really want to know the truth," the officer said. <p>Please. Use it sparingly.<p>Okay, I'll take my Prozac now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:38 pm 

Cat:<p>Shit like that should automatically become "said," provided the paper allows copy editors to do their job.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:09 pm 

"In an interview with ..."<p>Don't get me started. Hate it. Hate it even more than "is currently."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:46 am 

When using the phrase "boxed set," am I the only one to think of "set" as referring to a two, or a pair, of whatever is in the boxed set? Oftentimes, especially with DVDs, there's more than two discs in the boxed set.<p>I hope "frak" never enters mainstream use ...<p>Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:13 am 

Cheers to those who know that a set packaged in a box is a boxed set! Hooray! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:34 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
When using the phrase "boxed set," am I the only one to think of "set" as referring to a two, or a pair, of whatever is in the boxed set? Oftentimes, especially with DVDs, there's more than two discs in the boxed set.<hr></blockquote><p>Let's not overthink this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:50 pm 

OK. **puts aways microscope**

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:33 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
I'd be happy to see the end of "really." I KNOW the person said it that way, but no story needs this type of quote: "I felt really bad for him, if you really want to know the truth," the officer said. <p>Please. Use it sparingly.<p>Okay, I'll take my Prozac now.<hr></blockquote><p>Bested only by the reporter using "really." And I don't mean in quotes. Babs, here's a Xanax to chase your Prozac.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:37 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
When using the phrase "boxed set," am I the only one to think of "set" as referring to a two, or a pair, of whatever is in the boxed set?<hr></blockquote>[chuckle] Playing golf with you must be interesting - just which two are in your set of clubs?<p>The DominEditrix

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
[chuckle] Playing golf with you must be interesting - just which two are in your set of clubs?<p>The DominEditrix<hr></blockquote><p>Ha! A game of chess, however, would just be silly. Gatekeeper, I'd go with the 4-iron and the 8-iron, and the king and queen, of course. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:46 pm 

Ramp up; ratchet up.... Please make them go away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
[chuckle] Playing golf with you must be interesting - just which two are in your set of clubs?<p>The DominEditrix<hr></blockquote><p>First post by member No. 300. Congratulations. You win.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:54 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
Cat:<p>Shit like that should automatically become "said," provided the paper allows copy editors to do their job.<hr></blockquote><p>Oh, it does, Bumf. But why can't we persuade the reporters that the best word for "said" is "said"?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:51 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by catrandom:
<p>Oh, it does, Bumf. But why can't we persuade the reporters that the best word for "said" is "said"?<hr></blockquote>Because someone taught them that one must continually vary one's vocabulary to avoid repetition.<p>Shoot the writing instructors, I say.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:30 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<strong><p>First post by member No. 300. Congratulations. You win.</strong><hr></blockquote> [looking around for a pony] Win? Win what?<p>D.<p>[ July 12, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:12 pm 

[looking around for a pony] Win? Win what?<p><hr></blockquote><p>Acknowledgment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:33 am 

Heh. Golf and chess are pleasures that I don't pursue. I do play a mean game of checkers and Sid Meier's Civilization II, though.<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:13 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joann:
Let's make a list!
<hr></blockquote>"Playing hardball". "Trading verbal shots", especially when followed by a series of quotes using "he shot/he shot back". "Akimbo" in the phrase "with her legs akimbo". <p>One of the Roy-attacked-by-tiger stories quoted "a reporter" as having said "the tiger drug him". I was surprised that the tiger would have been so solicitous as to administer an anaesthetic prior to sinking his teeth in...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:13 pm 

An oldie, but a goodie: Quoting people who want to "grow" their business next year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:45 pm 

"Twentysomethings," "fortysomethings" and all other -somethings.<p>"... is located at ..."<p>"Batons" (sted "nightsticks" or "clubs").<p>"Temblor."<p>"Market correction."<p>"Kewl."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:19 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JayByrd:
... people who want to "grow" their business next year.<hr></blockquote>Only applicable when they've spread a load of manure on their P&Ls. <p>"Uber" anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:48 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Peter Sibley:
"Twentysomethings," "fortysomethings" and all other -somethings.<p>"... is located at ..."<p>"Batons" (sted "nightsticks" or "clubs").<p>"Temblor."<p>"Market correction."<p>"Kewl."<hr></blockquote>What's wrong with batons and temblor?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:36 pm 

A lot of editors apparently don't share my aversion, but I can't stand meaningless "may," "might" and "could" headlines.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:16 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by catrandom:
<p>Oh, it does, Bumf. But why can't we persuade the reporters that the best word for "said" is "said"?<hr></blockquote><p>For that matter, why can't we get rid of the "staff writer" designation? Just report the council meeting, dammit. Don't try to rewrite "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
What's wrong with batons and temblor?<hr></blockquote><p>"Baton" strikes me (ha) as an egregious euphemism. <p>"Temblor" I've never seen or heard used by writers and speakers of English, unless they work for newspapers. Like "slain," it's removed from modern, ordinary discourse.<p>But I'm not a cop. "Temblor" away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:44 pm 

"Thanks to ..."
Who is thanking whom for what?
Thanks to a grant, the building can be built. No, because of the grant it can be built.
Some reporters might serve a better purpose in PR ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:05 am 

Let's see:<p>"Giving the gift of ..."
Anytime a patronizing rich person gives someone who can't find a job anything ... except a job.<p>"... the true meaning of Christmas."
Religious people usually say this to reporters anytime they're covering anything related to the holiday season. We also get this in our dreaded "community columns" when the retirees do anything for the poor in our community, to teach the poor about -- well, you know.<p>Anyway, happy holidays to all, especially those folks who convert our brilliant copy desk work to print every night after we've headed home to hit the Web: the folks who work on the presses and the delivery folks who come through every day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:44 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Peter Sibley:
<p>"Baton" strikes me (ha) as an egregious euphemism. <p>"Temblor" I've never seen or heard used by writers and speakers of English, unless they work for newspapers. Like "slain," it's removed from modern, ordinary discourse.<p>But I'm not a cop. "Temblor" away.<hr></blockquote>I believe there is a distinction betwen a billy club/nightstick and a baton. I'll check with my ex, who was a D.C. cop for 20 years and will know for sure.<p>I have to disagree with you about temblor. But maybe I just read more stuff with a seismological bent. If I had a head for math instead of words I might have been a seismologist instead of an editor.<p>[ December 25, 2003: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:12 pm 

From "The Simpsons":<p>Bart: Wow! Can I see your club?
Cop: It's called a baton, son.
Bart: Oh. What's it for?
Cop: We club people with it.<p>http://www.snpp.com/episodes/8F15.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:16 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
I believe there is a distinction betwen a billy club/nightstick and a baton. I'll check with my ex, who was a D.C. cop for 20 years and will know for sure.<hr></blockquote><p>Taking editing cues from a cop? This oughtta be good. <p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
I have to disagree with you about temblor. But maybe I just read more stuff with a seismological bent. If I had a head for math instead of words I might have been a seismologist instead of an editor.<hr></blockquote><p>If you're accustomed to seeing it because you read Seismology Monthly, then you make my case. It's jargon — used only by earth scientists and reporters who are afraid to repeat the word "earthquake" or "quake" or "tremor."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:33 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tim Lawson:
A lot of editors apparently don't share my aversion, but I can't stand meaningless "may," "might" and "could" headlines.<hr></blockquote><p>If the news is that something could happen, then what would you suggest we say? Otherewise there is no news, and the story shouldn't be running.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:45 am 

phrases, words to be banned<p>"sea change"
insisted, claimed -- such loaded words
"moreover" -- I have a reporter on staff who uses it all the time when he means ``and''<p>but or however when it's not really a but or a however<p>``he said it was a tragic accident, but it was raining that night''

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:42 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joann:
<p>If the news is that something could happen, then what would you suggest we say? Otherewise there is no news, and the story shouldn't be running.<hr></blockquote><p>Because anything "might" happen at any time, saying the city might build a bridge or Nader might run is stating a truism. The same headlines could have appeared the week before and been literally correct, but they wouldn't have had any new news behind them. And since "might" doesn't have any probability weight, it is functionally the same as saying "might not." Thus my allusion to meaninglessness: The opposite of the headline is equally true, and the headline could have applied at any time.<p>Back to what the news really is: I'd focus the headlines on the fact that the council is now considering a bridge proposal or that Nader formed an exploratory committee. Of course, these were simplistic examples, but I'd argue that "may," "might" and "could" are appropriate in exceedingly rare instances. Did that make any sense? Counterexamples welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:30 pm 

If the news is that something could happen, then what would you suggest we say? Otherewise there is no news, and the story shouldn't be running.<hr></blockquote>
I'd go with "would," as in "Repeal of tax hike would hurt services." <p>Aside, a former editor was fond of "eyes" as a verb in heds, as in "City eyes sewer plan." Yeah, it's short, and I can't make a case for it being "wrong," but it just bugs me.<p>(Joann, I'd like to PM you regarding your workplace. Would you change your settings so I can? Thanx.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:18 pm 

I took a copyediting test once for a major metro daily, and the chief who administered it said she wanted her copy editors to avoid "eyed" as an example of what she called headlinese.<p>[ December 26, 2003: Message edited by: wordygurdy ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:51 pm 

It turns out there is no distinction between club/baton/nightstick; they're completely interchangeable. And I still see no reason to ban baton outright.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:05 pm 

It turns out there is no distinction between club/baton/nightstick; they're completely interchangeable. And I still see no reason to ban baton outright.<hr></blockquote><p>A "baton" is what baton-twirlers twirl or relay-race runners pass. "Baton" for "club" is euphemistic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>A "baton" is what baton-twirlers twirl or relay-race runners pass. "Baton" for "club" is euphemistic.<hr></blockquote> Depends on which dictionary you consult. I've got two that include a definition as a club or truncheon. I admit I do not know what the most recent NW says; that's at the office.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:47 pm 

Depends on which dictionary you consult. I've got two that include a definition as a club or truncheon. I admit I do not know what the most recent NW says; that's at the office.<hr></blockquote><p>Let's not forget that there's more to this editor thing than looking up stuff in the dictionary. When a cop is coming at you with a big black stick in his hand, that ain't no baton, Susan, that's a club.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:33 pm 

One of our sports writers is fond of using: When the dust settles …
Of course, this is also a man who feels it necessary to tell us the players play.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMac:
One of our sports writers is fond of using: When the dust settles …
Of course, this is also a man who feels it necessary to tell us the players play.
<hr></blockquote><p>As in, "They came to play"?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:53 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMac:
One of our sports writers is fond of using: When the dust settles …<hr></blockquote>
Even in a Flames story?<p>[ December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lostinspace:
[QB]Let's see:<p>"... the true meaning of Christmas."
Religious people usually say this to reporters anytime they're covering anything related to the holiday season. We also get this in our dreaded "community columns" when the retirees do anything for the poor in our community, to teach the poor about -- well, you know.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Hmmm.... I've usually seen those charitable types using the phrase to mean the giving was by way of showing the givers the true meaning of Christmas. The recipients presumably already know, or perhaps have other things on their minds.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>"... the true meaning of Christmas."<hr></blockquote>
In a similar vein, I had my fill long ago of "This is what it's all about."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:39 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:

Even in a Flames story?<p>[ December 28, 2003: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]
<hr></blockquote><p>No, thankfully, our Flames beat boys can string a few words together well enough so that I don't have to roll my eyes a thousand times while editing.
That's one of our GA guys.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:09 am 

This week, I encountered a new hobgoblin of headlinese: "crix," which apparently is used by a handful of publications to mean "critics." I hope 2003 is both the first and last year I see this one.<p>[ December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:19 pm 

That reminded me of something that caused a bit of head-scratching in my former newsroom: When abbreviating "million" or "billion" in a hed, as in "$30B deficit," should the letter be up or down?<p>Or should this practice simply be avoided?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:15 pm 

When I was given no choice but to use it, I put it up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:23 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
This week, I encountered a new hobgoblin of headlinese: "crix," which apparently is used by a handful of publications to mean "critics." I hope 2003 is both the first and last year I see this one.<p>[ December 30, 2003: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]<hr></blockquote><p>Ew. *wrinkles nose*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:35 pm 

I've never run across this, praise the Lord. It sounds like a Variety-ism (surely followed by "pix") that may be slithering into wider use. Ick.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:29 pm 

And while we're on the subject (that phrase always makes me think of Firesign Theatre), here's the link to Lake Superior State University's new list:<p>LSSU 2004 Banished Words Archive.<p>[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]</p>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:16 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
That reminded me of something that caused a bit of head-scratching in my former newsroom: When abbreviating "million" or "billion" in a hed, as in "$30B deficit," should the letter be up or down?<p>Or should this practice simply be avoided?<hr></blockquote><p>I've always found $30bil a happy compromise

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:43 am 

Please add ''good-sized'' to hit list. A weasel phrase.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:47 am 

Re: Crix for critics
May we assume we will shortly see a headline over a story about how films dealing with the financial plight of the Prairies are being panned:
Crix nix hix flix (with apologies to a very similar Variety head from years ago).
Thankfully, we have not run into this one – yet.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]