Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: In which the Baseball moderator actually watches a game
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:15 pm 

Random thoughts during the Game of the Week (which, in flyover territory almost always involves the Yankees and/or Red Sox):
* Just as I was scoffing at Wilson Betemit coming to the plate after having, in the top of the inning, looked like a total neophyte, giving the Angels two runs on what should have been an inning-ending double play ("Who IS that rag-arm?" I was wondering), he hits a two-out, two-run home run to tidily erase his debt.
* These players make ungodly sums of money, and earlier I checked out tickets to a Sox-Sox game in Chicago next week and was told online that that will be $50 apiece, please. Who lives in that world?
* Did Giambi grow that mustache just for old-timers day, as an homage to Thurman Munson? Or to Don Mattingly? Or to Ron Jeremy?
* Derek Jeter hit into a double play but he brought home a run, perfectly illustrating the reputation of over-rated Mr. Clutch he enjoys on this board, and no, we won't discuss him here yet again.
* Tim McCarver defended the White Sox putting Griffey in center, saying the other outfielders will cheat toward the alleys, acknowledging that that leaves the lines vulnerable but saying, "You can't cover everything." Well, yes you can, if you have a CF who can cover the alleys, Tim.
* I can't imagine an announcer more perfect than Joe Buck, and I know that's a personal thing, but I could listen to him all day, just a tad longer than I could Vin Scully.
* Mike Mussina still takes for....ever to deliver a pitch with men on base, and he's now got gray in his sideburns, and he's still one of the last starters I'd want to throw out there for a Game 7.
* On the bench, after slugging a line-shot home run, Bobby Abreu was positively giddy, because it was power vs. power; he turned around a Jered Weaver fastball with authority, reminding me of how George Brett took 100 mph heat from Goose Gossage into the upper deck in the playoffs, and it made me think, how sweet would it have been to sit in old Yankee Stadium one more time on a sunny afternoon that featured an old-timers game. Boy, oh, boy ....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:21 pm 

Tim McCarver is the second-biggest idiot among national baseball commentators on TV, second only to Joe Morgan.

Mike Mussina belongs in the Hall Of Fame, even if his career ended today. But because he lacks the 20-win seasons, Cy Young awards and postseason-big-game performances superficially associated with greatness, he's not likely to get into the Hall unless he gets 300 wins (aka The Don Sutton Path). And right now, given his decline and increasing injury rate, that doesn't look likely.

Post subject: Re: In which the Baseball moderator actually watches a game
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:05 pm 

jjmoney62 wrote:
Random thoughts during the Game of the Week (which, in flyover territory almost always involves the Yankees and/or Red Sox):

And they announced that next week's main game will be Yanks-Angels.
Baltimore gets Red Sox and/or Yanks most weeks, too -- but at least we're an AL East city. Can understand the resentment elsewhere around nation about this.

Quote:
* Tim McCarver defended the White Sox putting Griffey in center, saying the other outfielders will cheat toward the alleys, acknowledging that that leaves the lines vulnerable but saying, "You can't cover everything." Well, yes you can, if you have a CF who can cover the alleys, Tim.

That bothered me, too.

Quote:
* On the bench, after slugging a line-shot home run, Bobby Abreu was positively giddy, because it was power vs. power;

A very good all-around player

Quote:
... how sweet would it have been to sit in old Yankee Stadium one more time on a sunny afternoon that featured an old-timers game. Boy, oh, boy ....

yup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:46 am 

Quote:

If only Tim McCarver had played on a team with Garry Maddox.

Oops, never mind.(1976-79)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:20 pm 

And McCarver's teammate Curt Flood was one of the best during the 1960s.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:32 am 

And Curt Flood's refusal to report to my then-beloved Phillies was the beginning of the end of baseball being important to me.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]