Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: 'If you love the outdoors, this editor job is for you!'
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:25 pm 

... because you'll have to live in a tent someplace.

The new editor of the Bridger Valley Pioneer, located in the historic Bridger Valley area of southwest Wyoming will find incredible outdoor adventures including world-class hunting, fishing, hiking, camping and much more!

Successful candidate must possess strong writing, grammar, spelling and editing skills as well as strong communication skills. We’re looking for a team player that has excellent writing skills, computer and pagination/design skills, photography skills, strong work ethic and a desire to write, package and publish a quality, community- oriented newspaper (1,600 circulation) product every Friday. This is a leadership position, both within the community and the newspaper operation. Advancement and management opportunities within topflight newspaper organization are very realistic for employees with proven track record.

Pay range for this position is $25,000 to $27,000.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:50 pm 

Whatever you kill you can eat. Must furnish own ammo and dictionary.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:43 pm 

I agree. Copy editor/hunter/gatherer is one of the most undervalued positions in the newsroom.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 pm 

Unfortunately, the person who gets the job will be competing for housing against oil and gas well workers who make two to three times that amount and other natural resources workers who have filled up every hotel room, campground and mobile home park for a hundred miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 am 

I am absolutely not excusing the salary for this job, but I'd like to present a reality check from my past and probably some TCEs' present:

At my first copy-editing job, in 2002-03, at a daily newspaper with a 40,000 circulation, I was paid $10 an hour. This came after a lengthy job search. Best I could do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:01 am 

Let's continue to name and shame. Fair day's work should bring a fair day's pay.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:31 am 

Tim Lawson wrote:
At my first copy-editing job, in 2002-03, at a daily newspaper with a 40,000 circulation, I was paid $10 an hour. This came after a lengthy job search. Best I could do.

Reality must change, although that's pretty tough talk, considering the wholesale elimination of copy editing itself.

By the way: As some of you know, I'm kind of looking for work myself. Yesterday I got a call from a company that shall remain nameless, in response to an e-mail I sent six weeks earlier. I thanked the hapless HR chap for calling, but told him that I couldn't work for a business that treated its applicants so shabbily.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:45 am 

Tim Lawson wrote:
I am absolutely not excusing the salary for this job, but I'd like to present a reality check from my past and probably some TCEs' present:

What do you expect from a paper that was still pasting up in 2003? Having a single previous (higher paying) job changed the scale by 25 percent. The best thing I ever did was leave that paper -- the pay was hardly the only issue.

There's a difference between rural (vis-a-vis NoVa) Virginia and elsewhere in that a $400 apartment was easy to come by. Yes, I'd sniff at less than $35K now, but then, it worked fine, and there may be places where $25K works for a first job. BFE, Wyo., may be just such a place.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:12 pm 

Working and living in a cheap place is OK as long as the applicant isn't paying off college loans (taken out to acquire the skills needed to land the job).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]