Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Baseball? In this weather?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:44 pm 

Imagine my shock when I turned on the TV this afternoon and saw a Fox game of the week on. It's usually nearly June before the TV is showing baseball here in Triple-A Territory.

And imagine my glee when I saw that it apparently is Mascot Day at Fenway Park. Heh. Doesn't it always happen that you lay down good money for a box seat and some doofus with a giant head sits right in front of you.

I also realized that I've never really known a world without Dick Stockton in it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:47 pm 

Imagine my glee when I saw Gary Matthews Jr. earn that $50 million today against the Red Sox:

Quote:
With the bases loaded, Jason Varitek hit a sinking liner to center field that went off the heel of Gary Matthews Jr.’s glove for an error, allowing two runs to score.

By the way, if not for Safeco Field's retractable roof, the Mariners would have been rained out today. That would have been six games lost to weather out of 12 so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:48 am 

From today's Houston Chronicle

Hard to figure

It's pretty clear Lance Berkman is not pleased with the folks who made the Astros' schedule. The Astros already have been rained out or snowed out in Chicago and Philadelphia. And after playing a two-game set against the Florida Marlins at home, they're headed to cold Cincinnati for a two-game set before playing a three-game series at Milwaukee's Miller Park.

"I think the schedule makers are coming under a lot of scrutiny this year," Berkman said. "They seem to do some pretty ridiculous things, and this is one of them. We're a warm-weather team with a roof, and we're gone (on the road) almost the entire month of April. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense."

Considering all the rainouts throughout baseball this year, Berkman doesn't understand why the majority of the games in April aren't played in stadiums with roofs or in warm-weather climates like California, Texas, Atlanta and Florida.

"It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out a way to get those early-season games in a warmer environment," he said. "Everybody should have a home opener, but after that, go to warmer cities. The thing that's ridiculous about this year is that in the first month of the season we're in cold weather, and in the last part of July and early August, when it's really hot, we'll be in Atlanta and Florida."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]