Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: May I just say
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:22 pm 

What a pleasure it is to watch Derek Jeter play baseball?

Tonight at the Metrodome, it was scoreless in the bottom of the third inning. Mike Mussina took himself out with men on first and second, nobody out, Luis Castillo at the plate with a 2-1 count.

Sean Henn comes in, warms up and gets Castillo to pop out. Runners hold.

Nick Punto hits a ball that's something between a dying quail and a fly out, just over second base. Jeter takes off in hot pursuit, heading toward Damon in center. Jeter catches the ball with his back to the infield, spins and in the same motion fires a perfect peg to Robinson Cano, stretched out at second base like a first baseman. Luis Rodriguez, the runner at second, was off at the crack of the bat, beyond third base. Double play. Inning over.

Another day at the office on the way to Cooperstown for Ol' No. 2.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:27 pm 

It's those kinds of plays which will ensure that people will always overlook the dozens of routine ground balls Jeter fails to get to in the course of a season. Great at the impossible, so-so at the routine.

Just had to get my requisite dig in, Wordy.

I too agree he'll be in Cooperstown. He certainly is aging much better than I would have guessed. His footwork has actually improved in his 30s. How often does that happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:30 pm 

Heh-heh. No prob, Wabber. I agree Jeter can be infuriating on the routine plays, especially when he bounces throws to first at Yankee Stadium. That makes sense on turf, but not on grass. He already had an error on one of those plays in the first homestand; even Doug Mientkiewicz, who was playing first that day, couldn't save Jeter's bacon on that one.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]