Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead ball era?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:10 am 

Doesn't anybody have anything to say about Barry, about Gary Matthews, about baseball? We're days away.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:16 am 

I'm taking a break from professional baseball this year. The millionaires are on their own for a while.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:27 am 

Gary Matthews? So far I am a little disappointed with his
analysis during games.

Oh, you mean the son. Is there a need to say anything else about his possible use of a controlled substance that was revealed after he received a hefty contract based on one solid year that followed several mediocre seasons?

Last edited by Crabby Editor on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:22 pm 

Every year I say this will be the season that I just stop paying attention to baseball. Steroids are only one of many reasons. But at least to some extent I always get sucked back in.

Wish I could remember where I read it (perhaps Slate?), but someone did a good piece recently on the difference between steroids and human growth hormone, which I think is what Matthews used. The morality of HGH use can be debated, but not its legality.
I'm willing to cut some of these guys some slack until i climb back onto my high horse to ponder this.
But the guys who are pumped up to freakish levels, and who as they approach middle age suddenly have worse acne than a teenager, among other obvious side effects, still tick me off.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:39 pm 

The real story about Gary Matthews Jr. is how he is likely to be one of the biggest free-agent wipeouts of recent years. A career-long part-time mediocrity has a career year that wasn't even THAT good, and cashes in big-time just as he hits the chronological downslope of his career.

Usually only the Orioles are that dumb.

The steroids story just doesn't interest me. There's so much we don't know about what wrong advantage they may give a player. But any attempt to have a reasoned conversation about it usually devolves into hysterics about cheating and fraud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:16 am 

That's why we won't talk about steroids in the Baseball forum.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]