Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good luck, Nikko
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:51 pm 

That yellow hammer that Wainwright dropped on Beltran was absolutely filthy.

On the flip side, Endy Chavez's catch in the sixth inning has to be the most incredible catch I've ever seen. Ken Griffey made a similar catch as a rookie with the Mariners in center at Yankee Stadium and this year Melky Cabrera robbed Manny Ramirez in Endy-like fashion, but Chavez's has to take the cake because it was done in postseason, in Game 7, no less. And that he turned it into a double play is part serendipity but also part skill.

I like the symmetry of the repeat of the 1968 Series. But I think the Cards will be lucky to get a game off the Tigers, the way they blitzed through the Yankees and A's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:25 pm 

It took major huevos to go after Beltran the way Wainwright did, even if he knew he had Delgado on deck. And the pitch he got Floyd on was a preview, although it wasn't nearly as nasty as when he rung up Beltran.

Speaking of the backwards-K, I was thinking about it, and over the past several years, I've seen just about every playoff-series-clinching out, and as best I can recall, it's almost always been either a ball in play, or, very rarely, a swinging strikeout. I can't remember the last series I saw end on a called strike three.

The Cards might not get a game off the Tigers. Hell, I'll be happy if they take just one, and I hope Kenny Rogers has gotten all the postgame pitching heroics out of his system. But I have to admit, I feel pretty good going into this one. Definitely better than in '04, when they had to modify each player's uniform once they got to Fenway to account for the giant fork.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:13 am 

ndugan1 wrote:
It took major huevos to go after Beltran the way Wainwright did, even if he knew he had Delgado on deck. And the pitch he got Floyd on was a preview, although it wasn't nearly as nasty as when he rung up Beltran.

Speaking of the backwards-K, I was thinking about it, and over the past several years, I've seen just about every playoff-series-clinching out, and as best I can recall, it's almost always been either a ball in play, or, very rarely, a swinging strikeout. I can't remember the last series I saw end on a called strike three.

The Cards might not get a game off the Tigers. Hell, I'll be happy if they take just one, and I hope Kenny Rogers has gotten all the postgame pitching heroics out of his system. But I have to admit, I feel pretty good going into this one. Definitely better than in '04, when they had to modify each player's uniform once they got to Fenway to account for the giant fork.

I can't recall any postseason series ending on a called strike three, either. I can definitely recall one that ended on a walkoff walk, though, and that was the 1999 NLCS. On the mound? The Gambler, of course, for those New York Metropolitans against the Bravos. (Poor Bravos; all they earned was the right to be swept by the Yanks.) That was typical Kenny Rogers until this 2006 postseason.

Someone pointed out this morning on XM that whichever manager wins will have recorded the accolade of having won the World Series once in each league. Interesting, eh?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:47 am 

wordygurdy wrote:
ndugan1 wrote:
I can't recall any postseason series ending on a called strike three, either.

1997 (I think) NLCS, Marlins-Braves. Livan Hernandez threw a pitch about 8 miles outside. The late Eric Gregg called it strike three, probably in an effort to beat the rest of the umpiring crew to the postgame buffet. He became an absolute laughingstock after that.

On opening day the following season, the similarly rotund John McSherry had a heart attack on the field and died; Gregg, a close friend of McSherry, got scared straight after that and took a leave of absence to get his weight under control.

Then came the ill-fated mass resignation ploy by the union that ended his career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:54 pm 

Clearly, one can take my predictions and go in the opposite direction.

Just thinking about other managers who have won titles in each league; the only one who comes to mind in recent history is Sparky Anderson, who achieved the feat with the Tigers, appropriately enough, in 1984.

Anyone else know of another manager who's done it (without having to look it up)? I haven't looked it up, so I don't know if there is another one, recent or otherwise.

I just looked it up. Whoever wins this Series will join Sparky as the only manager to have won a World Series in each league. Pretty impressive.

Also impressive is that La Russa is third on the all-time managerial wins list with 2,297, behind only Connie Mack (3,731) and John McGraw (2,763). There must have been stories about La Russa's passing Anderson (2,194) on that list in the past couple of years, but I had forgotten them. Bobby Cox is fifth, with 2,171, and the only other active manager in the top 10 is Joe Torre, with 1,973, at No. 10.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]