Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Gambler's line tonight
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:11 pm 

Shall read thusly:

Rogers L, 0-1 1.2 IP 6 H 10 R 10 ER 6 BB 0 SO

Yanks will be up comfortably 2-1 going into Saturday.

These are Rogers' lifetime postseason numbers:

6 Postseason Series 8.85 ERA 0-3 W/L 20.3 IP 32 H 20 ER 16 BB 15 SO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:14 pm 

OK, as soon as Dennis "The Buck Stops Here, Just Not With Me" Hastert finishes investigating La Cage Aux Foley, he will have to launch a look-see into who kidnapped Kenny Rogers and replaced him with Johan Santana for this game. My goodness.

No question, the Yanks' lineup failed tonight, but if the Tigers are going to pitch like that, what are you gonna do?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Gambler's line tonight
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:16 pm 

wordygurdy wrote:
Rogers L, 0-1 1.2 IP 6 H 10 R 10 ER 6 BB 0 SO

Rogers W, 1-0 7.2 IP 5 H 0 R 0 ER 2 BB 8 SO

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:04 pm 

I still wouldn't go anywhere near him with a TV camera on my shoulder.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:03 pm 

And I wouldn't go anywhere near Steinbrenner's office this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:00 am 

The Yanks' performance in this series was an utter disgrace. That's the most fitting description.

Given the way the series unfolded, you could almost look at their Game 1 victory as a fluke if you hadn't seen it for yourself.

Today marked the first Yankees playoff game I have ever stopped watching--and the final playoff game of the year at that--because it was noncompetitive. I decided I wasn't going to let it ruin my Saturday night and went out to a movie in the 7th inning. October in Detroit? The Yankees played this game as if it were early March in Lakeland, Fla. The only thing missing was pitchers doing sprints in the outfield during the game. The team's showing was completely inexcusable.

The sadder thing for a Yankee fan is that unless ownership decides to eat some very large contracts that are highly worthy of being eaten, this team will return virtually intact in 2007, meaning he or she must endure eight more months of Randy Johnson, A-Rod and Giambi agita. At least Yankee fans will be rid of Gary Sheffield.

Maybe A-Rod can be moved; if i were Brian Cashman, I would get on the phone tomorrow and propose A-Rod for Ervin Santana and Orlando Cabrera and do that deal in a nonce. Give A-Rod whatever he wants as an incentive to waive his no-trade clause. I wouldn't care if he led the Angels to an ALDS victory over the Yankees in '07. I really wouldn't.

I would love it if Giambi decided he had had enough and vanished; he has to rank among the worst free-agent signings ever made, his production this season aside. But unless George opens wide and shovels in a forkful of contract documents, Yankee fans are stuck with a fragile statue at first base through the 2008 season, I believe.

It's just unfathomable that the Yanks are gone. You would have been hard pressed to find too many people who would have predicted the Yanks would lose this series. Yes, the Tigers pitched very well, but the Yanks got out of their game and didn't take pitches and work counts, and the Yanks didn't pitch or play defense the way they were capable.

Even as recently as 10 or 15 years ago, Old Boss George would have fulminated and possibly even fired Joe Torre, especially with old friend Lou Piniella lurking in the unemployed managerial ranks, looking for a last go-round with a team ready to win before he takes it to the house. The Current Boss George, though, seems rather feeble and disoriented in public these days. That and Torre's $6 million contract for '07 mean Torre is probably safe.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:33 am 

Anyone know whether:
ARod wants to play shortstop again?
Would he play the outfield?
Take a pay cut or deferral of salary?

He's not known for speaking openly, but hasn't he admitted that the big salary is a burden?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:15 pm 

My guess is he'd like to go back to SS. The only reason he moved to 3B is that the Yanks were the only team willing to bring him in after the Red Sox deal crashed and burned (see below). So it was either 3B with the Yanks or SS with a Ranger team that didn't want him and he didn't want to play for.

I don't think he's ever played OF, but for the right team, who knows, maybe he'd try.

Forget about pay cut or deferral. If you recall, part of the deal to bring A-Fraud to the Red Sox involved him taking a salary cut; the players' union stepped in and refused to sign off on any deal that meant less money for A-Fraud. Once that happened, the deal was off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:18 am 

wordygurdy wrote:
It's just unfathomable that the Yanks are gone. You would have been hard pressed to find too many people who would have predicted the Yanks would lose this series.

Well, you were warned a long time ago about Randy Johnson and Jason Giambi and the fact that the glory days were over. The regular season was a fluke of overloading the lineup and the crash and burn of foes in a lousy division.

Go ahead and underestimate the Central Division winner again.

What movie did you see Saturday night, Wordy? I was enjoying the Taos Mountain Film Festival.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:36 pm 

jjmoney62 wrote:
What movie did you see Saturday night, Wordy? I was enjoying the Taos Mountain Film Festival.

Little Children, with Kate Winslet. Did you see it? Excellent mix of humor and dark drama, I thought. I couldn't tell what was going to happen in the story, and that's always a good sign. Great performances from Winslet and especially Jackie Earle Haley. My goodness, that was a scary character he played.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:43 pm 

That one hasn't opened here yet.

I was going to guess "The Departed."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:41 pm 

Pardon me, I was looking for the Yankees-go-down-in-flames thread. Has anyone seen it? It was here a minute ago.

By the way, I thought "The Departed" was quite good. Nice little break from Hollywood formula. And for once, a movie that was set in Boston didn't have any cringingly inauthentic accents. Course, some of the actors in this one didn't have to fake it.

Speaking of Boston, don't you people know baseball season officially ends when the Red Sox stop playing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:37 am 

SeaRaven wrote:
Pardon me, I was looking for the Yankees-go-down-in-flames thread. Has anyone seen it? It was here a minute ago.

By the way, I thought "The Departed" was quite good. Nice little break from Hollywood formula. And for once, a movie that was set in Boston didn't have any cringingly inauthentic accents. Course, some of the actors in this one didn't have to fake it.

Speaking of Boston, don't you people know baseball season officially ends when the Red Sox stop playing?

Let's be clear: The Yankees didn't just go down in flames. The Yankees were vaporized. Poof.

To me, this feels almost as bad as the '04 defeat to the Red Sox. That loss was historic in its dimensions, but at least you could make the argument that the Sox were as good as the Yankees. This year, the Tigers were clearly the inferior team on paper.

The Yanks' loss to the Tigers feels a little like the '90 World Series, when an inferior Reds team beat a superior A's team left, right and sideways, in blowouts and in close games. The A's were overwhelming favorites, and then they were swept. I still remember Rickey Henderson saying, "The better team didn't win" afterward, and thinking, Yes, it did, Rickey.

Now I'm the one saying the better team didn't win. But I guess it did, with the emphasis on "team."

About "The Departed": Was it extremely violent? I've never been a fan of mob movies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:12 pm 

Yes, "The Departed" had some explicit violence. Definitely don't see the movie if that stuff bothers you.

-----------

Here's a whimsical prediction: A-Rod to Boston in some kind of convoluted deal. He could play shortstop there if he wanted to.

Ortiz - Ramirez - Rodriguez --- "the killer Z's."

The Red Sox wouldn't even need to fix their pitching, becaue they'd be scoring 17 runs a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:38 pm 

In Baltimore there's talk of sending Miguel Tejada to the Yankees for A-Rod. Not much, though.

Can't see it happening. Tejada doesn't want to play third yet. More important, New York would have to eat a huge portion of A-Rod's salary for the Orioles to take him.

Tejada periodically gets frustrated with the Orioles' mediocrity, but he almost always plays hard; sometimes he plays too hard--he presses and makes mental errors. He talks about getting out of here, but he's still popular.

Can't imagine the fans getting excited about A-Rod other than when he'd hit a home run when it mattered.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:35 pm 

Wayne Countryman wrote:
In Baltimore there's talk of sending Miguel Tejada to the Yankees for A-Rod. Not much, though.

Can't see it happening. Tejada doesn't want to play third yet. More important, New York would have to eat a huge portion of A-Rod's salary for the Orioles to take him.

Tejada periodically gets frustrated with the Orioles' mediocrity, but he almost always plays hard; sometimes he plays too hard--he presses and makes mental errors. He talks about getting out of here, but he's still popular.

Can't imagine the fans getting excited about A-Rod other than when he'd hit a home run when it mattered.

A-Rod's not going to waive his no-trade clause to go to Baltimore. He'll want to go to a contending team. That's why Anaheim makes so much sense. He would fit in so nicely behind Vladi (or in front of Vladi) and give that lineup the thumper it was sorely missing. And Anaheim has pitching to spare. I sure hope Cashman and Stoenman can get something done.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:36 pm 

SeaRaven wrote:
Yes, "The Departed" had some explicit violence. Definitely don't see the movie if that stuff bothers you.

-----------

Here's a whimsical prediction: A-Rod to Boston in some kind of convoluted deal. He could play shortstop there if he wanted to.

Ortiz - Ramirez - Rodriguez --- "the killer Z's."

The Red Sox wouldn't even need to fix their pitching, becaue they'd be scoring 17 runs a game.

Thanks for the heads-up about the movie.

Don't get too warm and cozy with thoughts of your team scoring 990 runs; the Yanks scored 930 runs this year and went out in the first round.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:11 pm 

You can't overreact to a playoff series loss. Baseball's a game with such narrow margins that a five- or even a seven-game series is a coin flip.

By my math, the yankees record this season was better than the Tigers by one win out of every 81 games. 160 out of 162, they had identical results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:13 pm 

wordygurdy wrote:
A-Rod's not going to waive his no-trade clause to go to Baltimore. He'll want to go to a contending team. That's why Anaheim makes so much sense.

No one in Baltimore expects the O's to contend any time soon.
The owner is still wary of big spending after paying Albert Belle to not play for several seasons. Javy Lopez was expensive and didn't match his stats or health from the Atlanta years.
Can't imagine he likes to hear Tejada moan every few months.

Yes, the Watchamacallit Angels would be a better fit for A-Rod: lots of protection in the batting order; wouldn't be the only star; expectations of contending most years; not necessarily the most visible team in town, but one with money.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:01 pm 

Torre made A-Rod a lightning rod, heh, by hanging him out to dry in that SI story a while back (as did Giambi) and batting him eighth against the Tigers, meaning A-Rod would continue to be an issue and skapegoat.

A-Rod for E. Santana and Orlando Cabrera is a horrible trade. Cabrera isn't any good, and Santana is a fine pitching prospect, but A-Rod is one of the best players in the game.

I hope the Yankees trade him, because it'll hurt the team. Here's hoping they lose the battle with the big-money treadmill.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:11 am 

SeaRaven wrote:

Saw "The Departed" last night. I enjoyed it, too. But Scorsese gave in to Hollywood formula in one respect: Making the woman fall in love with both protagonists, which struck me as highly implausible. I mean, what are the chances?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:09 am 

ADKbrown wrote:
Saw "The Departed" last night. I enjoyed it, too. But Scorsese gave in to Hollywood formula in one respect: Making the woman fall in love with both protagonists, which struck me as highly implausible. I mean, what are the chances?

Yes, you're absolutely right. That was a weak point in the story and totally unnecessary. Because of the woman's professional position, the two male characters could have been plausibly connected through her enough to build to pretty much the same denouement without them both having been romantically involved with her. DiCaprio's involvement with her also undermined the film's attempt to establish his character as isolated and increasingly desperate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:52 pm 

Sure, maybe you two can resist Leonardo DiCaprio ....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:22 pm 

In a desperate attempt to get this thread back to something resembling the name of the forum it's under, I will ask if anyone is surprised that the two teams which seem to really be rolling right now, Detroit and St. Louis, are the ones who finished the regular season in less than sterling fashion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:38 pm 

Y'all understimated the Central Division winners last year, the White Sox, and look what happened there. Remember, they almost were overtaken by Cleveland in the last 10 days of the season. It's not uncommon for teams to limp to the finish, take a couple of days off to regroup, and then restart the fire. As opposed to the Yankees, who were overrated and coasted in an easy division.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]