Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Seth Mnookin's "Feeding the Monster"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:45 am 

Mnookin's Red Sox book is just as entertaining as one would expect -- by which I mean it's absolutely riveting, to a Bostonian.

But I'm surprised by how much commentary I've read lately, in the book and in the general sports news (and, okay, in the "blogosphere" too), about the exceptional intrusiveness of the Boston sports media.

For instance, I'm struck by passages in Mnookin's book where the press coverage of an event (such as the December 2001 sale of the Red Sox) is treated as prominently as the event itself -- as though Herald columnists have as much influence in private business dealings as, say, the state attorney general.

Of course Mnookin's previous book (Hard News, about the Howell Raines/Jayson Blair-era New York Times) was concerned exclusively with the press. But still I'm startled by ...Monster's recurring mentions of "deafening" press howls -- as though the city's main actors LITERALLY CANNOT HEAR THEMSELVES THINK once the media gets hold of a story.

Is this proof of the continuing relevance of press coverage (and in this book "press" almost always means "print media")? Or just the unique, possibly skewed perspective of a professional press critic writing about sports? I'd be interested to know if other readers of Mnookin's book (or fans in general) have some views on this issue.

[Mr. Grieco and other Yankees fans, by the way, are obviously not expected to read yet another Red Sox tome -- although how intriguing is it to note that current Sox principal owner John Henry once owned a small piece of the Yankees...and apparently got on quite well with Mr. Steinbrenner?]

Post subject: Re: Seth Mnookin's "Feeding the Monster"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:30 pm 

PunkOnce wrote:
[Mr. Grieco and other Yankees fans, by the way, are obviously not expected to read yet another Red Sox tome -- although how intriguing is it to note that current Sox principal owner John Henry once owned a small piece of the Yankees...and apparently got on quite well with Mr. Steinbrenner?]

Intriguing because there is very little difference between the Yankees and Red Sox other than their histories, so any sentiment held toward one team by fans of neither team ought best be directed at the other as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]