Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: No-save day
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:39 am 

The AP wrote:
NEW YORK -- There was no saving baseball during a wild Saturday full of blowouts and walk-off wins.

It marked the first time in nearly three decades a full day of major league games were played without a save recorded.

There were six blown saves in the 15-game schedule, including two each in Pittsburgh's 7-6 victory over Washington, and Cincinnati's 3-2 win against Colorado. The Nationals and Reds both won with ninth-inning rallies.

The last time baseball went a complete day without a save was Sept. 15, 1978, when all 26 teams were in action during a 14-game schedule -- including a doubleheader, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Meaningless, but fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:41 pm 

Heh. And here I was thinking you were flagging the errors in there. I see two, not least of which is that the writer contradicts himself quite nicely. (He had it right and then screwed it up.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:14 pm 

I see one (arguable) error, but I don't see a contradiction. Can you enlighten me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:41 pm 

You don't see the contradiction?

Quote:
There were six blown saves in the 15-game schedule, including two each in Pittsburgh's 7-6 victory over Washington, and Cincinnati's 3-2 win against Colorado. The Nationals and Reds both won with ninth-inning rallies.

Washington is the Nationals, who lost that game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:14 pm 

SusanV wrote:
Heh. And here I was thinking you were flagging the errors in there. I see two, not least of which is that the writer contradicts himself quite nicely. (He had it right and then screwed it up.)

Um, yeah! That's what I meant! "No save" by AP's copy editors. Glad someone got the joke.

Cough.

In my defense, I didn't really read the third graf. I only included it because I wanted to include the fourth. Good catch, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:56 pm 

SusanV wrote:
You don't see the contradiction?

Quote:

Washington is the Nationals, who lost that game.

OK, I wasn't reading the team names closely enough. Whoops. Thanks for pointing it out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]