Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unbeatable records
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:02 am 

No way

I guess this has been around a while, but it ran in our paper today and I cringed. Rice's and Ripken's are a matter of endurance – no one can touch 511 wins. Second place should go to Wilt the Stilt for 100 points/game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:44 am 

Agreed. Barring deep, fundamental changes in the way baseball is played -- or in human longevity -- Young's record is effectively impossible to equal.

Among records that are possible to break but unlikely to be broken, the hardest to break is probably Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak. According to Stephen Jay Gould (scientist and noted baseball fan), the odds against hitting in 56 games are so great that it should never have happened even if hundreds of thousands more major league games had been played than have been. It was a statistical aberration of the highest magnitude.

Incidentally, statheads and traditionalists alike will enjoy Gould's book "Triumph and Tragedy in Mudville," a collection of his baseball essays over the years. It's got some numbers here and there, yeah, but it's really just a pure ode to baseball written by a man who happens to have also been a scientific genius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:31 am 

Sounds like a great combination. I'll have to check it out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:57 am 

Likewise, his 749 complete games (I assume that's the record) will never be matched.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:43 pm 

No one's ever going to throw three consecutive no-hitters, either. The soul of Johnny Vander Meer can rest easily.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]