Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Old School
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:55 am 

This study, essentially reporting that major sports department newspaper staffs are 90 percent white and male, is rather shocking. (Thanks to Romenesko for the link.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Old School
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:39 pm 

Considering that sports departments were (are?) the most likely at many papers to hire someone who isn't white, and that a disproportionate number of star athletes aren't white, and that women's athletics have become more prominent at all levels, this (the situation, if reported anywhere near accurately) seems wrong.

I'm less surprised than disappointed by the numbers.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:02 pm 

I'm not even slightly surprised.

I think there was a female part-timer on the sports desk at my former paper. Other than her, I don't recall seeing anyone but white males over there during my four-year tenure. And it was a decent-sized crew for a mid-sized daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:40 am 

Matthew Grieco wrote:
I think there was a female part-timer on the sports desk at my former paper. Other than her, I don't recall seeing anyone but white males over there during my four-year tenure. And it was a decent-sized crew for a mid-sized daily.

They hired a woman to work in sports the week that I left, Matthew. Not sure how long she lasted, of course.

This is very true at my paper, although I will say that several of the girls I graduated with had many papers falling over each other to hire them for the sports copy desk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:29 am 

I worked at five daily papers in 25 years. Each had a white woman as a writer or editor in its sports department.

Some had non-white writers, editors or both.

The most recent might have had a more "diverse" staff than the numbers in this study. The other four didn't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:56 pm 

I'm not exactly sure how many copy editors are on our sports desk because it seems rather large (maybe eight or nine altogether?). But there are two women, both white, one in her late 40s to early 50s (I'm a bad judge of women's ages) and the other in her late 20s to early 30s. There is one black man, young, probably in his late 20s. The rest are white men of various ages. This is a 150,000-circ. daily Monday through Saturday and 200,000-circ. on Sunday.

On my features desk, eight out of the 10 of us are white males of various ages. The other two are white women, one who just turned 30 and the other in her 40s.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:03 am 

Leave it to Norman Chad (yes, he's still around!) to trivialize the issue beyond insensitivity.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]