Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ken Davidoff in Newsday
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:30 pm 

Has some good ideas here.

I especially like the one about adding an international division.

Just thinking out loud, though: Would that preclude the notion of a truly World Series, in which the U.S. champ plays an Asian champ?

I hate to admit it, but Davidoff is probably right about advertising on uniforms. I think the first bit of encroachment in that regard was the placement of the MLB logo at the base of the uniform's neck several years ago. That was the first softening up of defenses, but of course advertisers are never going to settle for logos that small. Logos are going to have to be as big as uniform numbers for advertisers to be satisfied, and contemplating unis with logos that large is truly depressing.

So I won't.

Play ball, tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:47 pm 

I don't buy it. The outcry when MLB tried to put "Spiderman 2" ads on bases was thunderous, and Selig actually backed down and got rid of them. I don't see it happening unless attendance drops to early 1970s catastrophic levels and owners need more ways to supplement income.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:48 pm 

Matthew Grieco wrote:
I don't buy it. The outcry when MLB tried to put "Spiderman 2" ads on bases was thunderous, and Selig actually backed down and got rid of them. I don't see it happening unless attendance drops to early 1970s catastrophic levels and owners need more ways to supplement income.

Hope you're right.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]