Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Delgado, Thome change teams
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:51 pm 

Big trading day, if you believe this report and this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:06 pm 

With very few high-level free agents out there, the trade market will be hot and heavy this year.

If the Mets do indeed land Delgado and sign Wagner and Bengie Molina, they'd have to be the favorite to win the NL East.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:14 pm 

The Phillies-White Sox deal appears all but complete. It's Thome and $22 million to Chicago for Aaron Rowand — the first big deal of the new Pat Gillick regime.

The big question now is, are the White Sox giving up on resigning Paul Konerko — surely the most overrated free agent out there — or just not counting on anything from Frank Thomas?

Re Delgado and the Mets ... I'd also agree withconnfused assessment, except this is a team with a lot of weird, ever-shifting parts. Whither Cliff Floyd? Will Matsui be good enough? What can we count on from Piazza, and at what position?

Meanwhile, David Wright is the superstar nobody knows. Which, considering where he plays, is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:10 pm 

Wabberjocky wrote:
What can we count on from Piazza, and at what position?

Piazza's a free agent, so if the Mets sign Molina, it won't be with them. Piazza's likely headed to the AL (Baltimore? Angels?), where he can DH and maybe catch once or twice a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:49 am 

It will be an upset if Piazza is in a Mets uniform in 2006. As Conn said, I've read the Angels and the Orioles are his most likely destinations.

I have a feeling the Delgado-Mets union is not going to be a fruitful one. Delgado is going to a huge pitcher's park, at which his stats might well decline, which will turn the fandom on him, at which point we will see what he is made of. He already as much as called Tony Bernazard, Omar Minaya's assistant GM, an Uncle Tom by referring to Bernazard as "the highest-paid translator on the planet" during last winter's free-agent courting period. Delgado was for some reason insulted that Minaya and Bernazard had come to meet him at his home in Puerto Rico and resented the notion that he would sign with the Mets just because their general manager was Hispanic.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Delgado will be able to demand a trade after '06 as a player traded in the midst of a multiyear contract. If he's not traded by March 15 of '07, he can walk away from the Mets and the remaining $30 mil or so. Given what we've seen of his personality so far, it wouldn't totally surprise me if he did, reasoning he could find another team to pay him without too much trouble.

I don't get the White Sox' trade at all. That's a big gamble to be taking on Thome's coming back from injury at a late age. I know he was out with an elbow injury, but he's got the kind of batting-stance crouch that has "back trouble" written all over it, and once the back goes, the player is done (see Mattingly, Don, circa 1990).

As a Yankee fan, I admit I'm a little disappointed Rowand won't be roaming center field in the Bronx. The man can go get 'em.

Something tells me Konerko will get his money from some team.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]