Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: The neverending game
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:47 pm 

As I write this, the Astros and Braves are headed into the top of the 18th inning at Minute Maid Park, in the longest game in postseason history, which shows no signs of ending soon. The Astros have already used 23 players -- including Roger Clemens as a pinch hitter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:01 pm 

And it ended, as we knew it must, with a solo home run.

Welcome to history, Chris Burke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:19 pm 

I think the Braves loaded the bases three times in extra innings. Just goes to show the depth of Houston's bullpen (which, as a Cardinals fan, I'm not looking forward to facing).

A co-worker who is a die-hard Braves fan came in today in a cloud of expletives as the game was going on. Before leaving for home after the Braves were once again retired in the 17th, he said, "Great. Biggio's going to come up in the 18th and hit a solo shot, series over."

Well, he was close.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:27 pm 

Still, as a Cardinals fan, you had to be loving this. Watching your two possible opponents wear each other out over 18 ridiculous innings.

Living in Atlanta as a teenager, I came to like the Braves as my "second team." This could only happen to them. Good grief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:29 pm 

Matthew Grieco wrote:
Still, as a Cardinals fan, you had to be loving this. Watching your two possible opponents wear each other out over 18 ridiculous innings.

Living in Atlanta as a teenager, I came to like the Braves as my "second team." This could only happen to them. Good grief.

Oh, I wanted it to go at least to 20 innings. But it would have been so much better if Atlanta had won — then the teams would have to fly back to Atlanta tomorrow for a night game, followed by a day of rest for the winner before a flight to St. Louis for Game 1 of the NLCS on Wednesday. This way, the Astros still get three days' rest, and they didn't have to use Pettitte (although I wanted Clemens to go at least another two innings). But beggars can't be choosers.

And, yes, it does suck for Atlanta. It just furthers their streak of most-consecutive-postseason-appearances-with-quickest-exits by any team in any sport.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:46 am 

Tomorrow's ALDS winner will get NO days off before facing the White Sox on Tuesday in Chicago, who will be on three days rest for the whole team.

With their domination of Boston and favorable circumstances going into the ALCS, you have to figure Chicago will be in the Fall Classic this year.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]