Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: That's ALMOST what she said
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:08 pm 

Sorry for picking on poor AOL again, but the following hed is running on their Web site:<p>HOAXER COED IS SENTENCED: Says She's a "Girl to be Proud Of"<p>***That quote had me running to the story to find out why she feels people should be proud of her for doing what she did. This is the actual quote from the story:<p>''I'm taking care of myself now, so someday people will see I'm still a girl to be proud of,'' said Seiler.<p>***In other words, in addition to the sin of saying "said Seiler" instead of "Seiler said," they wrote a totally inaccurate hed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: That's ALMOST what she said
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:06 pm 

Coed? Yeesh. 1950 called, it wants its word back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:20 pm 

That too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:13 pm 

I'm given to believe that AOL doesn't employ "editors" per se -- at least not the kind who write headlines. AOL heds are consistently the worst I've ever seen, and I'm pretty sure they're the product of a word generator. (Whoever wrote the software that came up with "hoaxer" should be flogged at high noon in the digital town square.)<p>I'd like to research this more, but the doors to the newsroom seem to be locked pretty tightly. (I once e-mailed AOL news, after a spate of egregious errors, to ask about employment. Never got a reply.)<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
***In other words, in addition to the sin of saying "said Seiler" instead of "Seiler said," they wrote a totally inaccurate hed.<hr></blockquote>
I've been seeing "said so-and-so" more lately. Is another rule going by the wayside?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:06 pm 

Walsh took care of that in May. I boil it down to "said comes last, except when it just isn't right."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:22 pm 

Just hoping that the people who turn to AOL for their news neither vote or drive. But that's probably too much to ask.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:46 pm 

Bravo for Mr. Walsh. I must change that 20 times a night at least in the slot. "Said" comes last, dammit.<p>Last. This ain't no Comp 101 course.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]