Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Barry "Junk" Bonds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:30 am 

Image<p>Barry Bonds, upon hitting his 699th career home run on Sunday, offers a gesture of gratitude to his "juice" supplier in the upper deck. One wag noted that if Bonds maintains his longball pace, he'll "shoot up" to the top of the all-time list by the end of the 2005 season.

Post subject: Re: Barry "Junk" Bonds
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:04 pm 

As moderator, I feel like this wonderfully rascally post deserves props and kudos. Not only as an example of your devastating humor, Sea, but also of your roid-rage-like obsession with Mr. Bonds. My appreciation of your oeuvre (a word not in my 50-cent desk dictionary) is not unlike that of my sister for Lewis Black, except without the, you know, creepy romantic lust.<p>Btw, if you can find the routine AP gamer on last night's swat of 699, it a rather fascinating description of how the D'Backs pitchers walked him all weekend but then made just one slip-up and bam! <p>[ September 13, 2004: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:13 pm 

Do you think he is juiced up now? Or that he is enjoying the lingering effects of steroids?
Because he's having another great season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:27 pm 

He's a great hitter, no question, but we might never know how many of those home runs should have been doubles off the wall or warning-track flyouts. Hank Aaron's homers are 100% legit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:05 pm 

I am still waiting for proof that Mr. Bonds has used performance-enhancing chemicals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:47 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
Hank Aaron's homers are 100% legit.<hr></blockquote>Sea, you're probably right, but I wonder what evidence you have to state this so firmly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
I am still waiting for proof that Mr. Bonds has used performance-enhancing chemicals.<hr></blockquote><p>I've seen enough evidence to form an opinion, which I acknowledge does not meet the proof standards of a criminal court.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:15 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
Sea, you're probably right, but I wonder what evidence you have to state this so firmly.<hr></blockquote><p>Is there any reason to think Hank cheated? As far as I know, the only thing he was ever accused of doing "wrong" as a hitter was batting cross-handed in his early years. <p>The evidence against Bonds -- and several other contemporary players -- is pretty strong, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:26 pm 

I don't need to be convinced that Bonds was juicing. The evidence indeed seems to indicate he was.<p>I can't think of a reason to believe Aaron used anything, but greenies (speed) were in wide use by ballplayers during perhaps half his career. I'd be reluctant to state that he never tried them.<p>[ September 15, 2004: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]</p>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:06 am 

Doesn't this forum have a moderator?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:33 am 

Would this be a good time to post some reckless speculation about Jason Giambi's tumor?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:45 am 

Opinions and observations aside, Barry Bonds is still an amazing baseball player. It takes a little more than just big muscles to hit a baseball over the fence. <p>People who bash Barry Bonds seem to be either stuck living in the past and don't ever want to see Hank Aaron's record broken, or don't like Bonds because he doesn't kiss everyone's ass or flash a big smile every time there's a camera in front of him. <p>I'm not really a big Bonds fan, but the Barry-bashing that goes on (all over the place, not just here) is just ridiculous. <p>And for the record, despite the fact that he retired before I was born, I'm a big fan of Hank Aaron and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, especially in light of the circumstances he endured while chasing Ruth's record. <p>While death threats are certainly more extreme than steroid allegations and the like, it certainly appears that Bonds is facing similar (albeit less potentially dangerous) persecution for approaching one of the great game's hallowed marks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:26 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Biggdbo:
Opinions and observations aside, Barry Bonds is still an amazing baseball player. It takes a little more than just big muscles to hit a baseball over the fence. <p>People who bash Barry Bonds seem to be either stuck living in the past and don't ever want to see Hank Aaron's record broken, or don't like Bonds because he doesn't kiss everyone's ass or flash a big smile every time there's a camera in front of him. <p>I'm not really a big Bonds fan, but the Barry-bashing that goes on (all over the place, not just here) is just ridiculous. <p>And for the record, despite the fact that he retired before I was born, I'm a big fan of Hank Aaron and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him, especially in light of the circumstances he endured while chasing Ruth's record. <p>While death threats are certainly more extreme than steroid allegations and the like, it certainly appears that Bonds is facing similar (albeit less potentially dangerous) persecution for approaching one of the great game's hallowed marks.<hr></blockquote><p>
Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:53 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Doesn't this forum have a moderator?<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, and he has an early bedtime.<p>But I did stay up late enough on a recent saturday to see the midnight showing of "Holy Grail," Sea. My favorite line, when Arthur walks past during the "Bring out your dead" scene:
"He must be a king."
"How do you know?"
"He 'asn't got shit all over 'im."<p>Jailer!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]