Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: And ... the worst
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:02 pm 

The five most awful:<p>Twins
D-Backs
Rockies
Blue Jays
Devil Rays

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: And ... the worst
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:26 pm 

The worst unis I have ever seen were the Astros' mid-1970s "rainbow" jobs, from the Nolan Ryan era. Eccch.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:32 pm 

I'm thinking the Padres' brown and orange from about that era were a close second.<p>And it seems a team had a sleeveless shirt, if only for a short time (even one game). Anyone?<p>And does anyone remember if weather (heat) was behind the White Sox' shorts? It must have been damn hot.<p>[ September 10, 2004: Message edited by: Jim Bond ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Bond:
And does anyone remember if weather (heat) was behind the White Sox' shorts? It must have been damn hot.<hr></blockquote><p>The uniforms were designed by Bill and Mary Frances Veeck. My recollection is that the purpose was twofold: to emulate the uniforms of the local 16-inch softball teams and to garner attention with another classic gimmick.<p>It was hot that summer, of course, and many people cooled off at Comiskey by dousing their heads under the shower in centerfield or taking advantage of Haircut Day. And some of us had older brothers who sneaked in a cooler filled with a refreshing gin-and-lemonade concoction. Ahh, you can't beat fun at the old ballpark.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wordygurdy:
The worst unis I have ever seen were the Astros' mid-1970s "rainbow" jobs, from the Nolan Ryan era. Eccch.<hr></blockquote><p>Everyone i've ever heard express an opinion about uniforms hated those.<p>I don't care much about fashion, whether sports is involved or not, but i liked them. <p>I'm amused by throwback uniforms, especially if versions are made to sell to fans at ridiculous prices.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]