Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Big Unit & Cy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:04 am 

Randy Johnson leads the league in ERA, strikeouts and WHIP, the best measures of a pitcher's effectiveness. Yet because he pitches for one of the worst teams in baseball, he is 12-13. Does he deserve the Cy Young Award? Anybody know if a pitcher with a losing record ever got the award?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Big Unit & Cy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:55 am 

I searched and searched and searched. The only guy who has ever won the Cy Young with a losing record is Eric Gagne last year with a 2-3 record and 55 saves. <p>The starter with the worst record who won it is Randy Jones in 1976. He had a 22-14 record.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:07 am 

WHIP?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:58 am 

Walks + Hits divided by Innings Pitched = WHIP

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:19 pm 

People used to make the same argument for Nolan Ryan. Don't know whether he ever had a big year with a losing record, but he had some around .500 on mediocre teams when his other stats were good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:11 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
Does he deserve the Cy Young Award?<hr></blockquote><p>I think he does. Who has been a better pitcher? <p>Wins are an overrated statistic for pitchers. When you consider unearned runs (usually the result of errors) and offensive support (or lack therof), a pitcher is only partly responsible for his wins. At least, when he pitches like Randy Johnson, he's only partly responsible. <p>Obviously, it's a little different if a pitcher's giving up three or four runs every time he goes out and pitches five or six innings.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:44 pm 

Roger Clemens has been stellar, and if the Astros make the playoffs--regardless of how far they go--I think he will get the nod over Johnson.<p>Clemens is 16-4 with a 3.19 ERA, and even though I haven't paid close attention to what the Astros have done this year, I do know that he could already be a 20-game winner if he had had some offensive support.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:58 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wordygurdy:
Roger Clemens has been stellar, and if the Astros make the playoffs--regardless of how far they go--I think he will get the nod over Johnson.<p>Clemens is 16-4 with a 3.19 ERA, and even though I haven't paid close attention to what the Astros have done this year, I do know that he could already be a 20-game winner if he had had some offensive support.<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, Clemens has a real good shot, given his won-lost record. That's what seems to impress the voters most.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:28 pm 

You all (and the voters, too, I assume) are neglecting Johnson's perfect game back in May against the (at that point) fledgling Braves, who have ended up pasting everyone in their division. I would weigh that pretty heavily against Clemens. It's only the 17th perfect game in the history of MLB. He also had 13 strikeouts during that performance.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]