Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Silly Cycle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:01 am 

(Vent) Cycle-Schmycle. This is baseball, not a card game. Woe is the player who goes single-home run-triple-triple. Should have stopped at second.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Silly Cycle
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:21 am 

i agree

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:38 pm 

The cycle is the silliest "stat" in all of baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:03 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
The cycle is the silliest "stat" in all of baseball.<hr></blockquote><p>Maybe, but it is rare enough to be interesting.<p>[ August 19, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:50 am 

Houston turned a triple-play last night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:55 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
Houston turned a triple-play last night.<hr></blockquote><p>Now THAT is rare enough to be interesting. And I have to disagree with ADKbrown. Sure, cycles are rare, but I see no reason to find them anything more than a minor curiosity. I'd much rather see a guy who needs a double for the cycle stretch to the triple.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
<p>Now THAT is rare enough to be interesting. And I have to disagree with ADKbrown. Sure, cycles are rare, but I see no reason to find them anything more than a minor curiosity. I'd much rather see a guy who needs a double for the cycle stretch to the triple.<hr></blockquote><p>I agree they are minor curiosity. If someone hits for the cycle, I'd like to see that in the account of the game, that's all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:25 am 

(Continuing rant)<p>Omar Vizquel goes 6-of-7 the other night and gets little of the fanfare afforded someone who hits for that phenomenon known as The Cycle.<p>It seems his six hits lacked sufficient "variety."<p>Silly Cycle!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:39 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jim Bond:
(Continuing rant)<p>Omar Vizquel goes 6-of-7 the other night and gets little of the fanfare afforded someone who hits for that phenomenon known as The Cycle.<p>It seems his six hits lacked sufficient "variety."<p>Silly Cycle!<hr></blockquote><p>I agree with you there. Six hits is a rarity, tied a record. Should have received more attention.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]