Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lame TV analysts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:38 am 

I was watching the Yankees last night (and hoping for them to lose). I happened to see Matsui slam his face into the seats while chasing a foul ball. <p>So then they did all the close-up shots of him wiping his nose. And then one of the TV announcers pointed out the tears in his eyes and offered this insightful analysis: "When you hit your nose like that, tears automatically form..." <p>What useful insight...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lame TV analysts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:37 pm 

Thanks for starting this thread now. We'll need it come June when Tim McCarver is on the air every week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:50 pm 

Granted, I'm a Yankee fan, so I'm biased. But I think Matsui has been a godsend for the Yanks in left, which has been a vast wasteland since Roy White retired lo those many years ago (Rickey held down the fort out there for a short while, but too short in the final analysis). Matsui is a smart defender and gets to balls quickly, and as evidenced by the play in Chicago last night, goes all out without regard for his safety. He has done an amazing job at adapting to parks in which he had never played before last year. His arm isn't the greatest, but he has such a quick release when he gets to a ball that his arm strength almost doesn't matter if the cutoff man (usually Jeter) has a good arm to compensate.<p>At the plate, Matsui will probably never hit as many homers as he did in Japan's smaller parks. But he is a good clutch hitter (e.g., his double last year in Game 7 against Pedro), and when he gets on a hot streak he can help the team immensely.<p>He's also humble and very patient with the Japanese and the American media.<p>I hope the Yanks can sign him beyond next year for a reasonable amount. At $6 million per in his current contract, he may be a bit overpaid but not by much in today's market.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:03 am 

Clicked up the Dodgers-Rockies game via audio stream tonight and Rick Monday was doing the play-by-play -- alone. Guess Vinny and Porter were doing teevee.<p>Not only is Monday incredibly bland, in two innings he uttered three redundancies. He should go back to rescuing flags.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:18 pm 

The "mute" button is a Godsend (or godsend, if you will) when watching baseball games on TV.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:51 pm 

Dozing off during the game is even better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:52 am 

In my eyes, Jerry Remy can do no wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:08 am 

Apropos of nothing, really ....<p>Back in the '90s I had a dog named Remy. <p>My next-door neighbor, Angele, picked up a dog at the pound named Dunston. <p>Soon she would change the dog's name to a good Lithuanian moniker. But until she did, I think it's safe to say that we had the only canine double-play combination in town.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:24 am 

I knew a Cubs fan who had three gerbils named Tinker, Evers and Chance.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]