Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Milton Bradley
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:53 pm 

Tempted to use a board-game pun on a story about the Milton Bradley trade from Cleveland to Los Angeles? Don't. An AP stringer used just about every one possible in this story from 1999.<p>
¶ HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) _ What a game from Milton Bradley!
¶ The Montreal prospect hit a grand slam with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning Monday night, giving Harrisburg a 12-11 win over Norwich in the deciding Game 5 of the Eastern League finals.
¶ "I've always dreamed of something like this and I never thought it would happen," Bradley told WHTM-TV in Harrisburg.
¶ Harrisburg, the Double-A affiliate of the Expos, won its fourth straight championship. Almost a Monopoly, seeing how that had never been accomplished in the league's 77 seasons.
¶ The Senators scored five runs in the ninth. Bradley, the Expos' second-round pick in the 1996 draft, struck out three times before hitting his slam on a 3-2 pitch from EL saves leader Joe Lisio _ in the rain, no less.
¶ Bradley had a Clue was what coming.
¶ "I knew he had to throw me a strike," he said. "I just sat back."
¶ No doubt, Lisio was Sorry!
¶ The slam set off a wild scramble _ not a Scrabble _ of happy teammates at home plate. And it capped an up-and-down year for Bradley, a 21-year-old outfielder who hit .329 with 12 home runs and 50 RBIs in the regular season.
¶ In April, Bradley was suspended for seven games for spitting gum at an umpire. The incident occurred after Bradley was ejected for triggering a bench-clearing brawl by charging the mound when hit by a pitch.
¶ In Bradley's first game back from the penalty, he hurt his left knee. He was slowed by injuries for part of the season.
¶ Later in the summer, Bradley played for the United States in the Pan American Games.
¶ Bradley delivered several key hits for Harrisburg in the postseason. The Senators' last nine games in the playoffs each were decided by one run.
¶ "I've been through a lot of things this year," Bradley said.
¶ Trailing 11-7 entering the ninth, Harrisburg loaded the bases with no outs. Lisio, who had 33 saves for the New York Yankees' Double-A affiliate, relieved and retired Jeremy Ware on a popup and struck out Brian Schneider.
¶ After Jason Camilli hit an RBI single to make it 11-8, Bradley homered over the wall in right-center.
¶ A young fan, Corey Swartzlander, retrieved the ball and Bradley signed it in the rain, then gave it back to the boy as a souvenir.
¶ The win also provided a fine finish for Harrisburg manager Doug Sisson.
¶ Midway through the season, Sisson abruptly quit to become the assistant baseball coach at the University of Georgia. But halfway on his drive south, he changed his mind and returned to manage the Senators.
¶ Turned out not to be such a Trivial Pursuit.

Post subject: Re: Milton Bradley
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:46 pm 

That's just awful. I'm glad Cleveland's AP sportswriter never turned in anything like that. <p>And I'm also glad Milton Bradley is now the Dodgers' problem, and not the Tribe's. Good riddance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:59 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Biggdbo:
And I'm also glad Milton Bradley is now the Dodgers' problem, and not the Tribe's. Good riddance.<hr></blockquote><p>Few Indians fans will disagree with you there, Biggdbo.<p>Speaking of Bradley, I found this tidbit from Sunday on latimes.com:<p>The Dodgers gambled on him Sunday, trading their best outfield prospect for one of the most explosive players in the game, in every sense of the word.<p>Well, gee. I hope not every sense!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:51 am 

No, *I'm* SORRY... that story was far too painful to read more than once. Ugh.<p>Image<p>And anyway, the writer forgot TWISTER.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]