Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Whale of lede
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:49 pm 

From AP:
CANBERRA, Australia — A rare white whale making its way up Australia's east coast is showing signs he is growing tired of his celebrity status, a researcher said Monday.<p>One of my desk buds said it must be holding up its flippers: "No pictures, no pictures!"

Post subject: Re: Whale of lede
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:52 pm 

While Migaloo was not as aggressive as the fictional white sperm whale in the 1851 classic American novel ``Moby Dick,'' Lloyd warned whale watchers to keep their distance.<p>The writer actually trotted out "Moby Dick"?? Geez, are whales that unusual in Australia waters?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:23 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:

The writer actually trotted out "Moby Dick"?? Geez, are whales that unusual in Australia waters?
<hr></blockquote>
No. The bit about keeping distance is state law and for the whales' protection. Now is peak viewing time off Sydney, thus the AP yarn. And note YOU CANNO SEE A WHALE FROM CANBERRA UNLESS YOU HAVE A BLINKIN' BIG TELESCOPE regardless of what AP's dateline would have you believed. Canberra is way inland.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:42 pm 

You better hope this whale doesn't make it a habit. When I worked on the Maine coast, we had a seal named Andre who swam to Boston every fall and came back every spring, requiring two inane feature stories every year in every paper there. Every newsroom cheered when the sucker finally died.
JByrd.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:10 am 

I see your Andre and raise you with Lonely Luna. (I don't even want to talk about the "Free Willy" whale!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:13 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:
(I don't even want to talk about the "Free Willy" whale!!)<hr></blockquote><p>We're running a different take on "Free Willy".
In Clinton's book, he mentions enjoying a golf game he played with Greg Norman in Australia in '96. He enjoyed it so much he decided the boy's room was too far away.<p>Head is: "Eighteen holes, one leak"
Image<p>[ June 22, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:11 am 

The whale coverage gets worse.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:41 am 

14-year-old girls are such flirts...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:57 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
The whale coverage gets worse.<hr></blockquote><p>Love the cutline: "...and his special friend." LOL!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:56 pm 

"...and his special friend." <p>That also works with the Clinton photo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:52 pm 

I'm most excited about the possibility of an albino calf.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:56 pm 

I may be alone in this, but I think the "bachelor pod" hed is rather clever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:11 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
I may be alone in this, but I think the "bachelor pod" hed is rather clever.<hr></blockquote><p>That's a helluva thing to admit in a public forum. Be strong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:18 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>And note YOU CANNO SEE A WHALE FROM CANBERRA UNLESS YOU HAVE A BLINKIN' BIG TELESCOPE regardless of what AP's dateline would have you believed. Canberra is way inland.<hr></blockquote><p>AP's datelines, like the NYT's (Jayson Blair copy excepted), are based on where the reporter filed from. (During the years AP was unable to get a reporter into Tehran, and all its Iran stories were based on tuning into state-run media, they were all datelined NICOSIA, Cyprus — which is where the reporters listening in were. If you were lucky, they explained this in the text somewhere).<p>But since readers generally expect the dateline of the story to have at least something to do with the events of the story, I usually just delete the dateline when it's misleading and work any relevant geographical info into the body copy.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]