Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Great !dea!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:18 pm 

This brief came over from our business desk tonight. I'm checking with our copy desk chief, but I wondered what other people would do about this ridiculous insertion in what's probably a copyrighted name. (I know what Bill Walsh would say ... I think).<p> ALBANY … Communication Services, a marketing and communications firm in Albany that
turns 20 this year, has launched a marketing initiative, Ep!phany bc CQ ec Media, to promote gay and lesbian initiatives.<p>I already took care of the "initiative/initiatives" issue.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: moab ]</p>

Post subject: Re: Great !dea!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:20 pm 

I would change the exclamation point to an "i" and send out an e-mail explaining what "CQ" means.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:21 pm 

Put in the "i" and admonish the city desk not to misuse the "CQ" notation ever again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
Put in the "i" and admonish the city desk not to misuse the "CQ" notation ever again.<hr></blockquote><p>Copy desk chief did a search on Epiphany Media -- a company in Hollywood claimed that name. So it seems like a potential copyright issue. As much as I dislike leaving it in, I feel like my hands are tied. I cut two later references by working around them.<p>I'm sure this isn't the last time we'll see this, either.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: moab ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:43 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by moab:
<p>Copy desk chief did a search on Epiphany Media -- a company in Hollywood claimed that name. So it seems like a potential copyright issue. As much as I dislike leaving it in, I feel like my hands are tied. I cut two later references by working around them.<p>I'm sure this isn't the last time we'll see this, either.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: moab ]<hr></blockquote><p>You are not bound by "copyright issues" like that. As one wag said about "Ep!phany": "We'll allow it if they agree to pronounce it EP!-fanny".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:56 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>You are not bound by "copyright issues" like that. As one wag said about "Ep!phany": "We'll allow it if they agree to pronounce it EP!-fanny".<hr></blockquote><p>Very good. I passed that along, Phil, but the story's in "done" (it's going to press) unchanged.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:57 pm 

<p>You are not bound by "copyright issues" like that. As one wag said about "Ep!phany": "We'll allow it if they agree to pronounce it EP!-fanny".<hr></blockquote> OK, so it's not a copyright issue. But does it leave moab's publication open to legal action from Epiphany for associating its name with gay issues if it doesn't want to be known for or is actively opposed to such an association?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
OK, so it's not a copyright issue. But does it leave moab's publication open to legal action from Epiphany for associating its name with gay issues if it doesn't want to be known for or is actively opposed to such an association?<hr></blockquote><p>I'm not Floyd F. Abrams, but I'd say no.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:20 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by moab:
<p>Very good. I passed that along, Phil, but the story's in "done" (it's going to press) unchanged.<hr></blockquote><p>This wouldn't be happening if Phil Brown were still alive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:31 pm 

Isn't Phil languishing in a cave with Floyd Collins somewhere?<p>[ June 19, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:30 pm 

Moab, if you'll pass along your desk chief's phone number, or the business editor's, I'm sure some of us will be glad to call and ask, "How do you pronounce that?"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
OK, so it's not a copyright issue. But does it leave moab's publication open to legal action from Epiphany for associating its name with gay issues if it doesn't want to be known for or is actively opposed to such an association?<hr></blockquote><p>I'm guessing that the organization responsible for any linking of Epiphany Media's name with gay issues is Epiphany-with-the-tragically-puncutated-name itself.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:29 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
Moab, if you'll pass along your desk chief's phone number, or the business editor's, I'm sure some of us will be glad to call and ask, "How do you pronounce that?"<hr></blockquote><p>Business desk: (518) 454-5492

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:41 pm 

There seems to be some trouble with spelling "epiphany." In the defense of this magazine, it does refer to itself as "Epiphany" in the text. But a lot of people elsewhere seem enamoured of "Ep;phany."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:08 am 

A radical idea, but if a company has a stupid name I'm all in favour of just spiking any positive mention of them. [Wiggins ducks for cover at this juncture.]<p>[ June 20, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:12 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
A radical idea, but if a company has a stupid name I'm all in favour of just spiking any positive mention to them. [Wiggins ducks for cover at this juncture.]<hr></blockquote>
[chuckle] Spiked or not, using an unpronounceable or radically misspelt name tends to come back and kick the company in the head. Some wag in LA decided to name a clothing chain a string of consonants with a diacritical mark or two - not something one could easily remember, or recommend beyond "that shop with the stupid Xz name". Its number was never obtainable from information, as no telephone operator in LA knows what a tilde is. Despite the fact that it had nice clothing, it tanked rapidly. If one expects word-of-mouth publicity, it behooves one to make it possible to say the word.<p>D.<p>[ June 20, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
[QB] If one expects word-of-mouth publicity, it behooves one to make it possible to say the word.
<hr></blockquote><p>Just ask The Artist Formerly Known As An Unpronounceable Symbol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]