Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wonder how many of our readers are this multi-lingual?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:57 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> Sorry, but no sale, effendi. One thing you notice from a casual glance around the world is that just as many people seem to be dying in those places where we're pursuing containment as in those where we're toppling dictators and holding loya jirgas. <hr></blockquote><p>From a story I'm putting on a page right now for Saturday's paper

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Wonder how many of our readers are this multi-lingual?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:06 pm 

I'm not Australian, but this reader has no idea what "effendi" means.<p>Of course, there's a lot in our beloved Aussies' posts that I don't understand, which is half the fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:41 pm 

According to WebWord Net, effendi is an old Turkish term of respect, esp for government officials and a "loya jirgas" (Arabic?) is a grand council used to resolve political conflicts.
I just hope we're supplying foreign language dictionaries with the edition...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:13 am 

I thought I heard "efendi" before. It was in Laurence of Arabia...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:21 am 

I'm pretty sure that "effendi" carries with it the connotation that the speaker is the addressee's distinct inferior. This is only based on my memory of how I've read it used in context.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:27 am 

A Google search for "effendi" returns primarily hits about Shoghi Effendi, apparently the most influential leader in the history of the Baha'i faith.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:43 am 

(American Heritage)<p>effendi

SYLLABICATION: ef·fen·di
PRONUNCIATION: -fnd
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. ef·fen·dis
1. Used as a title of respect for men in Turkey, equivalent to sir. 2. An educated or respected man in the Near East.
ETYMOLOGY: Turkish efendi, from Medieval Greek aphents, master, alteration of Greek authents.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:48 am 

Here's a swell idea: When a word appears in a story that most readers (and, worse, most copy editors) are not familiar with, let's exercise Mr. Delete Key for the sake of everyone involved...except, of course, the pretentious "author."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:03 pm 

Ms Delete Key is a wonderful thing. I had 12 pages to lay out, so I didn't have time to look at what the word sub did with it, but will post it up when I get the paper.
I HATE it when people dot their copy (and their emails) with French words. If they'd only use German or Russian I could figure out WTF they were writing about.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:09 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Of course, there's a lot in our beloved Aussies' posts that I don't understand, which is half the fun.[/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>Only half? We're always fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:23 pm 

Sometimes we do give too much credit. I once put "E Pluribus Unum" as a kicker on some sort of American flag patriotic stand-alone art, and a colleague on the desk asked me if they were just words I'd made up. I was speechless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:28 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:
Ms Delete Key is a wonderful thing. I had 12 pages to lay out so I didn't have time to look at what the word sub did with it, but will post it up when I get the paper.
<hr></blockquote><p>Here's what the word sub did:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> Sorry, but no sale, effendi. One thing you notice from a casual glance around the world is that just as many people seem to be dying in those places where we're pursuing containment as in those where we're toppling dictators and holding grand councils. <hr></blockquote>
We also invented some words in the article:
"Islamofascists"
"the Frankensaud monster"<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:57 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:<p>Only half? We're always fun.<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, of course you're always fun. Figuring out y'all's vocabulary is a bonus.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:14 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:

Here's what the word sub did:
quote:<p>Sorry, but no sale, effendi. One thing you notice from a casual glance around the world is that just as many people seem to be dying in those places where we're pursuing containment as in those where we're toppling dictators and holding grand councils. <p>We also invented some words in the article:
"Islamofascists"
"the Frankensaud monster"<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>The sub left the term I'd have to look up but replaced the one I knew.<p>I've seen "Islamofascists" before, but not "Frankensaud."<p>Was this a column or analysis?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:17 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:
Yes, of course you're always fun. Figuring out y'all's vocabulary is a bonus.<hr></blockquote>
Courtesy of Wiggins himself a couple months ago:<p>Aussie Slang Dictionary.<p>(She's right, mate.)<p>Oh -- I recall reading "effendi" in a Sad Sack comic book an eon or two ago.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:18 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:
<p>Yes, of course you're always fun. Figuring out y'all's vocabulary is a bonus.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Wayne Countryman ]<hr></blockquote><p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>``Just because the Americans speak English, we think we understand them, but that is not always the case,'' Dibb says. ``... on religion, sense of humour, the way politics is played ... they are very different from us.''
<hr></blockquote>
Australian National University's Strategic and Defence Studies Centre chairman, Paul Dibb

So there...<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:23 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Was this a column or analysis?[/QB]<hr></blockquote><p>Analysisl I'd post the link, but you'd have to pay for it. Am p*ssed off enough at the waste of $20 I made. Don't want to subject anyone else.<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:36 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:

Courtesy of Wiggins himself a couple months ago:<p>Aussie Slang Dictionary.<p>(She's right, mate.)
[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]
<hr></blockquote><p>I've never heard anyone use this cr*p in practice...<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:50 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Sometimes we do give too much credit. I once put "E Pluribus Unum" as a kicker on some sort of American flag patriotic stand-alone art, and a colleague on the desk asked me if they were just words I'd made up. I was speechless.<hr></blockquote>Back in my fact-checker department days*, I once heard a summer intern declare that William Safire made up words. She was adamant, as so many of the ones she didn't recognise didn't appear in her pocket dictionary.<p>D.<p>* Somewhere in the Eocene, before desktop computers, when one actually had to look in reference books and make telephone calls and dig through morgues to confirm items...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
* Somewhere in the Eocene, before desktop computers, when one actually had to look in reference books and make telephone calls and dig through morgues to confirm items...<hr></blockquote><p>Or just look at a goddamned coin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:47 pm 

I've said I'd move to Canada if my English skills were stronger.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:35 pm 

I've said I'd move to Canada if my English skills were stronger.<hr></blockquote>Don't. It's cold. Very cold. Il y a trop de neige. One's slips become froidian. <p>Move to southern California, where no one will care about your command of any language other than Spanish. It never snows here at sea level.<p>D. [who now regards skiing as a perversion, not an ancestral rite.]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:13 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Or just look at a goddamned coin.<hr></blockquote>In all fairness, few people ever look at coins [which explains my recent receipt of a Thai coin in change at the grocer's]. <p>However, one would have expected the phrase to have been mentioned at least once in American History in high school.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:51 pm 

Ick. I've never seen "effendi" in my life, but I might expect people to know "loya jirga," since it was used a lot when Afghanistan was reforming its government and putting Karzai in power. Though I've almost always seen it as "loya jirga, or grand council."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:13 am 

<p>I've never heard anyone use this cr*p in practice...<p>[ June 18, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]<hr></blockquote><p>I've heard all of them, which is a reflection on the company I keep, rather than my adoptive country.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:53 am 

Well, okay, I admit to having heard a few of them. I've heard the VB one a lot :-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:05 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CopyMonkey:
Ick. I've never seen "effendi" in my life...<hr></blockquote>I think that speaks to age - I remember the term used frequently in the old Sinbad/Aladdin/random Arabian Nights movies [and, I think, in at least one James Bond film and perhaps an Indiana Jones].<p>That said, it's still silly to use in the context cited.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]