Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bad catch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:23 am 

ATV riders have found themselves in a Catch-22 with the state's closure of public roads in the Adirondacks: The move pushes riders to private lands, but there is no dedicated fund to create ATV trails there. <p>*Is it just me, or is this term misused about 90% of the time?*<p>[ June 14, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad catch
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:31 pm 

It's not just you. <p>"Catch-22" has been watered down to be a fancy way of saying "catch" the noun, as in something that temporarily keeps you from accomplishing what you want. <p>But Catch-22, as invented by Joseph Heller, is a sort of super-catch that is *impossible* to get around - certainly not the case in this quote. <p>(Readers of this wonderful novel will remember that Catch-22 involved trying to get out of dangerous bombing missions by claiming insanity. This is allowed - but the Catch-22 is that anybody who thinks to ask for this exemption is obviously sane and therefore ineligible. To quote: <p>("A concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions.")

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:56 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
*Is it just me, or is this term misused about 90% of the time?*
<hr></blockquote><p>You're being conservative.
Aside: I normally don't express my opinion on corporeal matters, but may I suggest that the state "create" a one-way ATV trail that terminates at the end of a short pier?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:57 pm 

At the end of a short pier high above jagged rocks sticking out of very deep and treacherous water - that never freezes in winter. It will work for snowmobiles too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:46 pm 

There must be a Jet Ski in the water at the precise landing point.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]