Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ] 
 Post subject: y'all getting any Reagan rumors?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:42 pm 

We're getting rumblings on this coast that his end may be near.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: y'all getting any Reagan rumors?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:45 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
We're getting rumblings on this coast that his end may be near.<hr></blockquote><p>I figure AP will say something if he dies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:01 pm 

Thanks for the heads-up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:14 pm 

We're hearing similar, but then again we heard the same thing two weeks ago, so who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:26 pm 

Now Reagan's spokespeople are saying nothing's changed. False alarm apparently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:13 pm 

When I was at the Knight Ridder Washington Bureau in the summer of 2002, they had me spend several days updating all of their stale Reagan obit material, because his death was "any day now."<p>Of course, if he really does die, it'll be fun to look at KR material and find stuff I wrote more than a year after I left the business. Except that it's stale again, probably.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:03 pm 

We heard Ron Jr. was flying in from Hawaii and that something was going down. That's all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:01 am 

Who gives a crap?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:24 am 

PARIS (AP) -- Former President Ronald Reagan's health has deteriorated, the White House has been told. The White House was informed that the 93-year-old former president's health had changed significantly in the past several days, a person familiar with Reagan's condition said Saturday...<p>
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/REAGAN_HEALTH?SITE=ARCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:41 am 

So say goodbye to the man who ruined America. Oh well....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:50 am 

Let's be fair. If Reagan "ruined America"--some would say it was "ruined" long before Reagan and others would say it hasn't been "ruined" at all. Or, some would say he had plenty of help.<p>[ June 07, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:21 am 

OK, true, Phil. But as a union loyalist I can never forgive what he did to the unions in this country.<p>But that's beside the point. I guess part of my testiness arises from the fact that this thread exists at all. I would not find it at all interesting that a 93-year-old man who has been seriously ill for at least 10 years is dying, or at least interesting enough to have my ear to the ground in quest of "rumors" about it. <p>As you said, when he dies, AP will let us know. Until then, frankly, I don't give a shit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:30 am 

Well, for me it means "start thinking about the layout of Monday's obit page"...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:54 am 

I'm delighted to hear that Australian papers would relegate Ronnie's death to the standard obit page. Would that it were so here.<p>Never been in a union, but I'm with Bumf.<p>[ June 05, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:22 pm 

In case you're getting stories saying Bonzo's less talented co-star "has" Alzheimer's, a reminder from alzheimers.org:<p>Today, the only definite way to diagnose AD is to find out whether there are plaques and tangles in brain tissue. To look at brain tissue, doctors must wait until they do an autopsy, which is an examination of the body done after a person dies. Therefore, doctors must make a diagnosis of "possible" or "probable" AD.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:22 pm 

I updated our Reagan information last night after a coworker called in. We lost much of what we had saved in a hard-drive crash last month. I would argue, regardless of politics, a former president's death is always page one news.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:25 pm 

Three dozen reporters and television cameras clustered across the street from the Reagans' mansion but there was nothing to be seen beyond the gate and the long driveway that led to the hidden home. (AP)<p>***I wonder what they expect to see.***<p>[ June 05, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:41 pm 

Patty, Ron and Michael fighting over the will in the driveway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:54 pm 

... And it's official.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:55 pm 

President Reagan Has Died, a Family Friend Says (4:51 p.m. ET)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:58 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
Now Reagan's spokespeople are saying nothing's changed. False alarm apparently.<hr></blockquote><p>You have to wonder what possible reason the "spokespeople" had to lie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chriss:
I updated our Reagan information last night after a coworker called in. We lost much of what we had saved in a hard-drive crash last month. I would argue, regardless of politics, a former president's death is always page one news.<hr></blockquote><p>I'm with you, Chris. Thanks for saying so.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:06 pm 

Breaking news: CNN, AP says Reagan has died.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:16 pm 

It is page one news, of course. My not giving a shit is just my personal feelings about that asshole.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:02 pm 

Let the inane "Gipper" headlines begin.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:10 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>From the NY Times web site:
In his first term in the White House he restored much of America's faith in itself and in the presidency.<hr></blockquote><p>
I will not speak ill of the recently departed, but I will speak ill of the living when they write unsupportable pap like this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:19 pm 

Do I smell a Banned for Life entry?<p> The WashPost quotes Kerry as saying: "He was our oldest president, but he made America young again."<p>And the NY Times piece has this passage:
He was America's oldest president and in some ways its youngest when he came to the White House in 1981,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:11 pm 

From the NYT's Tolstoy-length obit:<p>"Like a modern-day Joshua at the battle of Jericho, Mr. Reagan lived to see the Berlin Wall come tumbling down."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:29 pm 

<p>
I will not speak ill of the recently departed, but I will speak ill of the living when they write unsupportable pap like this.
<hr></blockquote>
Personal feelings aside, I don't think it's necessarily unsupportable. There are a hell of a lot of people out there who will tell you that Reagan was great because "he made us feel good about ourselves as Americans." I have known more than my share, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:35 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
OK, true, Phil. But as a union loyalist I can never forgive what he did to the unions in this country.
<hr></blockquote><p>This is what I was talking about, Bumf, when I encouraged you to get over some stuff from a long time ago. It's been two decades. Really, I mean, who was president back then? <p>I've been a proud member and leader in two unions, but we can't blame any one leader for the state of our own organizations or the movement at large.<p>[ June 05, 2004: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:37 pm 

Well, Jim, that's true. But even old lefties like me need scapegoats.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:08 am 

Wonder how many editors let through the references
to Reagan losing a "battle with Alzheimer's." That's a one-sided battle, of course, and to say someone "lost" it is cruelly redundant.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:11 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
<p>This is what I was talking about, Bumf, when I encouraged you to get over some stuff from a long time ago. It's been two decades. Really, I mean, who was president back then? <p>I've been a proud member and leader in two unions, but we can't blame any one leader for the state of our own organizations or the movement at large.<p>[ June 05, 2004: Message edited by: jjmoney62 ]<hr></blockquote><p>In Bumf's defense, more or less, Reagan was not, on balance, a very good president. To pretend that he achieved some sort of greatness is to indulge in a fantasy worthy of Reagan himself. And this being a day of mourning, I say we limit our intake of vegetables to ketchup.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:36 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
Let the inane "Gipper" headlines begin.<hr></blockquote><p>How about we pass on that one. The coverage should be extensive. This is a time time to reflect, regardless of personal opinion. (Mine gets hung up on the coat hook by the door when I report for a shift.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:03 am 

My Lord, in death Reagan has made them forget how to write. <p>This is on the NYTimes homepage:<p>As the news of the former president's death spread, reaction and tributes cascaded forth from the mighty and the common alike.<p>
Mighty and common alike? Like these are mutually exclusive? <p>It's gonnna be a long couple weeks if this keeps up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:40 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:
Well, for me it means "start thinking about the layout of Monday's obit page"...<hr></blockquote><p>The big news of the day of course is Sydney 17.10 (112) St Kilda 11.10 (76).<p>Btw wouldn't you already have a tombstone page ready to go?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:43 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
<p>Btw wouldn't you already have a tombstone page ready to go?<hr></blockquote><p>A lot of papers will have had material "ready to go" but that doesn't mean everyone from the executive editor on down won't want to fuss with it. Also, many papers will run a lot more than a page.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:22 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>A lot of papers will have had material "ready to go" but that doesn't mean everyone from the executive editor on down won't want to fuss with it. Also, many papers will run a lot more than a page.<hr></blockquote><p>Reading the times on this thread reminds of evil thoughts I had when working in previous roles, viz ''Die before deadline, you b--stard."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:32 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Lee:
Well, for me it means "start thinking about the layout of Monday's obit page"...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<p>The big news of the day of course is Sydney 17.10 (112) St Kilda 11.10 (76).<p>Btw wouldn't you already have a tombstone page ready to go? <p> <hr></blockquote><p>Probably, and like everyone else, we'll probably go stupid with it. Happily, it's not my problem; didn't have to go in today...<p>Football, shmootball<p>The big news for me today was reading that Australia's first newspaper reporter/editor/copy editor/layout editor/typesetter/printer/delivery boy was a convict whose death sentence was commuted to life in an Aussie newsroom.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:47 am 

Which raises the obvious riposte, though the Mercury newsroom is quite pleasant tonight, as usual.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:20 am 

Jmcg has put it well, minus the hysteria I tend to introduce when speaking about Reagan.<p>On balance, he was a mediocre president. It never fails to amaze me when I see this clown referred to as a statesman of the first order.<p>And, as you know, once the heart stops, the hype increases. He will be viewed as the Second Coming
in a couple years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:33 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
<p>Reading the times on this thread reminds of evil thoughts I had when working in previous roles, viz ''Die before deadline, you b--stard."<hr></blockquote><p>A cynical colleague suggested that Reagan indeed had died at an inconvenient time Friday night or early Saturday and that the news was held back so as to get better airtime on TV.<p>I don't believe that, but it's fun to think about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:34 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
And, as you know, once the heart stops, the hype increases. He will be viewed as the Second Coming
in a couple years.
<hr></blockquote> Coming next: the United States of Reagan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:14 pm 

A touch of irony: Reagan died on the 36th anniversary of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination, without which Reagan might well have not become president.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:41 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
A touch of irony: Reagan died on the 36th anniversary of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination, without which Reagan might well have not become president.<hr></blockquote><p>Not ironic, of course, but interesting, i'll grant you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:14 pm 

Image<p>It's hard to believe sometimes. ("Thanks" to Newsdesignerfor wading through these.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:39 pm 

Oh, God..you must be kidding...<p>Worst I have seen so far is Blanp's alma mater, the Schenectady Gazette: <p>Image<p>[ June 06, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:14 pm 

<p>The big news of the day of course is Sydney 17.10 (112) St Kilda 11.10 (76).<p><hr></blockquote><p>
Powers that be thought so too.<p>
[img]C:\WINNT\Profiles\ldrpage\Desktop\fittler.jpg[/img]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:50 pm 

Oh, God..you must be kidding...<p>Worst I have seen so far is Blanp's alma mater, the Schenectady Gazette: <p>Image<p>[ June 06, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]<hr></blockquote><p>Not nearly as bad as Richard Nixon at Charles de Gaulle's funeral: "This is a great day for France."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:08 pm 

Now Reagan's spokespeople are saying nothing's changed. False alarm apparently.<hr></blockquote><p>The last thing I heard (on CNN) Saturday was that Reagan's doctors were saying that he may have months or even just weeks left. Then, he was announced dead within the hour. Ah, Reagan. Dissembling to the end.<p>Now Friday is to be a day of national mourning. I think I'll mourn the fact that Reagan is going to be all but cannonized by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:09 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
It's hard to believe sometimes.<hr></blockquote><p>Beats "Goodbye Gipper." (I hope no one really used that.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:11 pm 

I wanted to see "Bedtime for Ronzo."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:34 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:
<p>Beats "Goodbye Gipper." (I hope no one really used that.)<hr></blockquote><p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:51 pm 

Oh, it is to weep....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:52 pm 

Good God. As much as I hated Reagan, a president's death does call for at least a shred of dignity.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:57 pm 

BULLETIN<p>A guy driving by our newspaper building tonight got off the highway exit and came into the security entrance to berate the guard because our flag was not at half-staff. An ugly incident ensued that involved about 15 people being called in order to "get permission" to lower the flag.<p>At last, the right person was reached and the guard lowered the flag to half-staff, which apparently is a complicated procedure here that involves climbing a rickety ladder (the guard weighs about 250 pounds and wears his hair in a mohawk with a two-foot ponytail at the back of the stripe).<p>All is well now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:58 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jackie:

I'll mourn the fact that Reagan is going to be all but cannonized by the end of the week.
<hr></blockquote><p>Soviet leaders might have wished to cannonize him. His fans would have something else in mind.<p>(Did somebody say pedantic?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:18 pm 

BULLETIN<p>A guy driving by our newspaper building tonight got off the highway exit and came into the security entrance to berate the guard because our flag was not at half-staff. An ugly incident ensued that involved about 15 people being called in order to "get permission" to lower the flag.<p>At last, the right person was reached and the guard lowered the flag to half-staff, which apparently is a complicated procedure here that involves climbing a rickety ladder (the guard weighs about 250 pounds and wears his hair in a mohawk with a two-foot ponytail at the back of the stripe).<p>All is well now.<hr></blockquote><p>Moral of the story, in appropriately simple, Reaganesque words: Newspapers shouldn't
have flag poles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:32 pm 

BULLETIN<p>A guy driving by our newspaper building tonight got off the highway exit and came into the security entrance to berate the guard because our flag was not at half-staff. An ugly incident ensued that involved about 15 people being called in order to "get permission" to lower the flag.<p><hr></blockquote><p>The guard should have thanked the man for his inquiry and left a message in the publisher's office. As soon as the incident escalated, he should have called the police.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:34 pm 

Phil:<p>How would you like a new job as chief of Homeland Security?<p>JMcG seems qualified to be your assistant.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:38 pm 

Phil:<p>How would you like a new job as chief of Homeland Security?<p>JMcG seems qualified to be your assistant.<hr></blockquote><p>None of this would be happening if Ed Maloney were still alive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:28 pm 

From the LA Times:<p>At the End of Rawhide, Rainbow Goes Solo<p>(Rawhide and Rainbow were Secret Service names for Ronnie and Nancy, the story explains.) Gag.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:31 pm 

Soviet leaders might have wished to cannonize him. His fans would have something else in mind.
<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, yeah, yeah.......<p>I might want to stick my head in a cannon before the Reagan accolades fade away,<p>[ June 07, 2004: Message edited by: Jackie ]</p>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:37 pm 

All this actually has a good bit less to do with Reagan than it does with where this racket is at. The customer (or in these days, no, decades, of declining readership, the non-customer) is always right. If there's a complaint against us, there must be something to it. You think we were wrong, well, we must have been wrong. I suspect that had, say, Jerry Rubin died, and some aging post-yuppie type, in Ben and Jerry's tie-dye and with a scrawny pony tail to match, had shown up at the Daily Bugle demanding that the flag come down, it would have been lowered there, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:20 am 

Dammit, Jim, that was Abbie Hoffman I did that for...get it right.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:20 am 

No, he didn't.<p>---<p>[ June 07, 2004: Message edited by: SeaRaven ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:59 am 

We had the Reagan story stripped across the top of 1A on Sunday, but by Monday we'd moved it to the bottom of 1A with refers to inside coverage ... I hope the executive editor doesn't disagree with my decision to play it that way (it's rare for "manager" types to be in the office on Saturdays and Sundays).<p>I guess I'll find out Monday afternoon (or before, if I get a phone call at 7 in the morning).<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:33 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
<p>I guess I'll find out Monday afternoon (or before, if I get a phone call at 7 in the morning).<p><hr></blockquote><p>What would be the point of his calling you at 7 a.m.? Would he expect you to go out and collect all the papers?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:19 am 

Wee hee! Today is the first issue of the Leader, a 147,000 print run biweekly in two regional edition since Mr reagan's death, He doesn't get a guernsey. Which pleases me because a local angle would be ridiculous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:52 am 

Wee hee! Today is the first issue of the Leader, a 147,000 print run biweekly in two regional edition since Mr reagan's death, He doesn't get a guernsey. Which pleases me because a local angle would be ridiculous.<hr></blockquote><p>Guernsey?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:09 am 

It's an Aussie football expression. Means he doesn't make the line-up<p>[ June 07, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:06 am 

I'll bet that kills on Wiggins' blog.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:20 am 

A Google search for "didn't get a guernsey" (using the quote marks) turns up 42 links, almost all with .au web addresses. And, shamefully, four of those link to articles in major metro and regional dailies (including the paper which pays my wages).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:46 am 

It was bad on the first day. It's mind-boggling on the second.<p>Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:57 am 

I was overruled. What can I say? Actually, the potentially mind-boggling thing is that this hed, on the second day yet, will have a very real chance of winning a prize in the company headline contest.<p>And that's in spite of the obvious problems with it to begin with, and the even more obvious problem that dozens...if not hundreds...of papers used the same hed the day BEFORE.<p>[ June 07, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:09 am 

Hype? Cannonization? Just wait 'til the Republican National Convention this August.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:44 am 

Just kill me now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:19 pm 

What would be the point of his calling you at 7 a.m.? Would he expect you to go out and collect all the papers?
<hr></blockquote><p>It's tradition more than anything else, just to show that you've really done something to get her attention (usually in a negative way). In my six years at the paper, I've never gotten a 7 a.m. call (although I did once receive a 10:15 a.m. call).<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:35 pm 

Some years ago -- within the past 10 -- in the local paper's "Newsmakers" quiz feature, RR was "Who Am I?" subject.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:43 pm 

Gatekeeper:
If your boss ever calls you at 7 a.m., please give me her name, phone number and sleep schedule. Also, a list of noises that annoy her the most.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:16 pm 

From the NYT's web page: Weeklong Tribute to Reagan Begins at Presidential Library<p>The cutline: Nancy Reagan was comforted by Rev. Dr. Michael Wenning during a private ceremony at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif. <p>From the story (second graf): As thousands of people watched outside the library and presumably multitudes more on television, Mr. Reagan's widow, Nancy, followed the coffin into the library's lobby on the arm of a military escort. Mrs. Reagan and about a dozen relatives and guests sat near Mr. Reagan's coffin, which was draped in an American flag and surrounded by a military honor guard.<p>Does anybody edit the web page?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:30 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SeaRaven:
Reagan remembered.<p>No he didn't.
<hr></blockquote><p>LOL! SeaRaven, I wanted to cringe every time I saw "Reagan remembered" on TV. I can't believe they're tracking every move the hearse makes. Oh, man, it's going to be a looooong week:
Reagan. Still dead. Day three.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:19 pm 

How much credit does he deserve for ending the Cold War? Is there an objective answer to this question?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:25 pm 

We have upset someone's sensibilities at American Digest, whatever that is:<p>Bad Americans<p>Behind the Scenes at the Nation's Newspapers: So how do the "grunts" of the newspapers, the copy editors, really feel about Ronald Reagan? This grubby little exchange -- Testy Copy Editors: y'all getting any Reagan rumors? -- includes a number of unfiltered comments, such as: "So say goodbye to the man who ruined America. Oh well...."<p>It gets worse, of course, but reading the thread is instructive in that it reveals the backstage carping and vindictive emotions that roil the souls of those trapped at the copy desks.<p>Especially illuminating is the fact that the same fellow who made the crack above, leads another thread with: "Curious how others here respond, if at all, when neighbors and other garden-variety assholes we come across in this life start clamoring about the 'liberal media.' "

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:33 pm 

Yup. Garden variety.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:37 pm 

It is astounding to me that anything called "American Digest" would be outraged that anyone would dare criticize and ...shudder..actually dislike a former president.<p>Criticism and differing opinions...hey, no room for that in America!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:20 pm 

To me, being an honest broker of the news means being able to describe with equal respect what the death of Reagan means to old lefties and to those who think he should be on Mt. Rushmore. Where's the newspaper that can go there? The copy desk should challenge the Red State-Blue State mentality, not choose a side. Bumfketeer got busted for his primal lefty scream. I'm surprised it was over the air controllers; I'd have thought AIDS or Iran-Contra first. As an editor, I'd be skeptical of a reporter who had such visceral feelings about the subject of a story. What American Digest doesn't realize is that he was overruled anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:35 pm 

Remember what we're here for: to keep stupid headlines and bad writing out of the paper.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:11 pm 

A task that, unfortunately, I failed at last night, as you see above. Hey, I tried.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:51 pm 

Bumf, remind me to buy you a beer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:16 pm 

I get off at 1:30. So to speak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:06 pm 

Speaking of bad taste, here's a sentence from The Washington Post about preparations in D.C. for all the dignitaries flying in:<p>The Ritz-Carlton this week will resurrect Nancy Reagan’s chicken salad, a favorite of the first lady.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:11 pm 

Remember what we're here for: to keep stupid headlines and bad writing out of the paper.<hr></blockquote><p>And to graciously step out of the way when either side -- liberal or conservative, who cares? -- chooses to hang itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:54 pm 

It is astounding to me that anything called "American Digest" would be outraged that anyone would dare criticize and ...shudder..actually dislike a former president.<p>Criticism and differing opinions...hey, no room for that in America!<hr></blockquote>Oh, those HUACy Americans...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:11 pm 

Gatekeeper:
If your boss ever calls you at 7 a.m., please give me her name, phone number and sleep schedule. Also, a list of noises that annoy her the most.
<hr></blockquote><p>Not to mention a knuckle sandwich.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:20 pm 

<p>Not to mention a knuckle sandwich.<hr></blockquote><p>Which reminds me of an office courtesy that folk here are obliging on. I do not want to engage in any degree of publishing post mortem until I have had my first cup of coffee. And will not. Thus the lack of prescription medicine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:23 pm 

Washington was still scrambling frantically on Monday to prepare for the first presidential state funeral in more than three decades, an inaugural in reverse, pulled together in five days instead of 10 weeks. (New York Times)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:34 pm 

Good god. Is that The Onion?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am 

what we're here for: to keep stupid headlines and bad writing out of the paper.<hr></blockquote><p>That has the ring of a "mission statement."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:15 am 

We have upset someone's sensibilities at American Digest, whatever that is:<p>Bad Americans<p>... but reading the thread is instructive in that it reveals the backstage carping and vindictive emotions that roil the souls of those trapped at the copy desks..' "<hr></blockquote><p>Um, is this a blog, or is it "Common Sense" as told to Hildy Johnson?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:15 am 

SeaRaven, Bumfketeer:<p>Your offers are much appreciated! I'm quite happy that I've yet to get such a call, so I suspect it's nothing to lose any sleep over. (Well, until I wake up in a cold sweat at 4 in the morning, the nightmare of an imagined headline typo dancing in my head.)<p>Gatekeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:39 am 

We have upset someone's sensibilities at American Digest, whatever that is:<p>Bad Americans<p>Behind the Scenes at the Nation's Newspapers: So how do the "grunts" of the newspapers, the copy editors, really feel about Ronald Reagan? This grubby little exchange -- Testy Copy Editors: y'all getting any Reagan rumors? -- includes a number of unfiltered comments, such as: "So say goodbye to the man who ruined America. Oh well...."<p>It gets worse, of course, but reading the thread is instructive in that it reveals the backstage carping and vindictive emotions that roil the souls of those trapped at the copy desks.<hr></blockquote><p>I'd be insulted since this jerk hasn't a clue about my political leanings, but I'm still contemplating my soul being roiled. Sounds kind of kinky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:57 am 

I guess it makes me a xenophobic bad man if I'm shaking my head at the Newseum's endless display of "Xjiblocbovic Est Korkovich" headlines as much as I am at the "Mourning in America" ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:
A Google search for "didn't get a guernsey" (using the quote marks) turns up 42 links, almost all with .au web addresses. And, shamefully, four of those link to articles in major metro and regional dailies (including the paper which pays my wages).<hr></blockquote><p>Why the shame? This idea that papers shouldn't use good colloquial regional English is a nonsense. It enriches rather than weakens the language. Expression used here no more shameful than me explaining to a reporter that I didn't want to talk to Monday morning quarterbacks who hadn't read the play book.<p>
Macquarie says ... Guernsey 2 (lower case) a close-fitting vest or shirt, usually of wool, worn by fishermen, and formerly in Australia, by goldminers. 3. (lower case) Sport a distinctively coloured or marked top worn by footballers, especially the sleeveless variety worn by AFL [AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE, WHICH RUNS A SPORT SOME OF YOU WILL KNOW AS AUSSIE RULES THAT WE CALL AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL] . 4. (lower case) a jumper; pullover. phrase 5. get a guernsey, Colloquial a. to be selected for a football team. b. to succeed, win approval. [from the Isle of GUERNSEY1]<p>[ June 10, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]