Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Readability survey
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:57 am 

I'm doing a presentation next month on improving readability of print whatevers and would be interested in getting a list of the typefaces TCEs and layout folks prefer. Am I correct in thinking that most newspapers use 10 pt copy?<p>Thanks for your info.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Readability survey
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:47 pm 

For minute statistical detail, I think that the Wall Street Journal's stock-quote typeface (sold by Hoefler as "Retina") is great. It has specially designed cut-outs that compensate for ink spread (like those nasty Futura Ns, Ms, and Ws -- only throughout the font). Of course, the problem is that increased legibility makes it easier to cram more detail into a smaller space, which doesn't necessarily make things easier for TCEs. I'll give it some more thought.<p>[ May 13, 2004: Message edited by: JPSheehan ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:19 am 

We use 9 point over 10.5, News 706.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:35 am 

We use 9.5pt on 9.5pt New Century School book with a horizontal squeeze of 95% and splashes of 9pt New Century bold weight with a 95% squeeze.
The crucial thing to remember here is x-height explained neatly by http://graphics.sbcc.net in the graphic below. 9.5pt will seem taller or shorter in different fonts. The key reason for the 9.5pt body time is that we are a tap with a 7 col grid of 8p3 with 10pt gutters (non layout people's eyes will be glazing over at this point).
Best advice for any publication, do some tests with slug type on layouts that match the realty of your ad shapes and are being produced at the normal designer's pace.<p>[img]C:\WINNT\Profiles\ldrpage\Desktop\x-height.jpg[/img]<p>[ May 14, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:18 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
Best advice for any publication, do some tests with slug type on layouts that match the realty of your ad shapes and are being produced at the normal designer's pace.
<hr></blockquote><p>Good advice.<p>When my previous employer was preparing to switch to narrower broadsheet pages, mock pages were prepared with varying typefaces and measures, then posted on a conference room's walls for side-by-side comparisons. All newsroom workers had the opportunity to write comments on paper beside them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:44 am 

Thanks for all the answers. I guess I'm surprised that cited examples are 9 pt. Is anyone using a larger size type?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:02 pm 

We use 10.5 pt Times. It looks a little cartoonish -- but you *can* read it from 10 yards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:25 pm 

We used B Stone Sans 9.5 on 10 at my old paper. More recently, when I was helping a friend design a start-up weekly, I went with Palatino 10 on 10.5.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:34 pm 

We use News Miller 9, which I like a lot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]