Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: The use of "evolve"
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:27 am 

What do you folks think about this use of the word "evolve"?<p>Over the past several months, we’ve continued to evolve the IT organizational structure to support our strategic direction.<p>or<p>We have evolved the store design...<p>This usage pops up regularly in the employee communications that I edit. It seems wrong to me, especially considering that the "evolution" referred to was a series of very deliberate changes rather than a gradual change over time. My preference is to use words like refine, modify, etc. but I can't find any reference that really supports my argument that "evolve" is mis-used here. <p>It probably doesn't matter anyway, because my influence on our CEO's wording is somewhat limited, but I feel obligated to try to change this wording if it's wrong.

Post subject: Re: The use of "evolve"
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:50 am 

I don't like it, but I'm not sure it's incorrect. I found examples of similar usage in our unabridged Webster's and also in the American Heritage Dictionary.<p>Seems to me the best thing to do would be to change some and leave others, if for no other reason than a little variety and to avoid sounding so jargony.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:08 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andrea S:
What do you folks think about this use of the word "evolve"?<p>Over the past several months, we’ve continued to evolve the IT organizational structure to support our strategic direction.<p>.<hr></blockquote><p>
I don't care what any dictionary says. The expression is bs and the question well put.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:53 pm 

"Verbing weirds language."<p>~ Calvin and/or Hobbes

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:04 pm 

At least you're not helping people "office," a la Kinko's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:18 pm 

Have to say I don't have a problem with "evolve" in that context.<p>Organizations, being made of humans, go through some similiar organic functions, like evolving. New ideas come in, old ideas are analyzed. The number of people change, the goal changes. New policies are developed, old policies are (please!) thrown out. They're not modified from the original; they're different than the original. They've grown from the original, just like a child. So what's wrong with calling that evolving?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:26 pm 

Sounds to me what causes the problem is the word's use as a transitive verb ("We evolved the culture") rather an an intransitive verb ("The culture evolved").<p>It's just like the verb "to grow." "Grow" sounds fine in the transitive sense when you're talking about flowers, but silly when you're talking about revenue ("We're growing revenue" vs. "Our revenue grew").

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mrleemrlee:
<p>It's just like the verb "to grow." "Grow" sounds fine in the transitive sense when you're talking about flowers, but silly when you're talking about revenue ("We're growing revenue" vs. "Our revenue grew").<hr></blockquote><p>Sadly, I have to report that we "grow revenue" all the time. I don't know why we can't just "increase revenue." (I always change it when I have input, but presentations, etc. are generally out of my hands.) However, we do not "office," nor do we onboard or bug-fix, and our changes are not impactful. (All things I've changed recently in my job as jargon-buster.)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:54 pm 

I don't like "evolved" here, beyond my involuntary shudder at generic corporate babble, because it is an ill-informed choice, an overcompensation. "Developed" in this case is active and purposeful enough. "Evolved" is more specific -- and less appropriate. It's like saying "I delivered her a kiss," rather than "I gave her a kiss." <p>Well, not entirely like that, but you get the idea.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]