Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: (sic)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:12 am 

In reading the Chicago Tribune's coverage of the Matt Hale trial, I came across this quote from Ricky Byrdsong's widow, Sherialyn: "I hope that the lesson and message of this trial is that peaceful co-existence should be all of our's (sic) goal."<p>I have mixed feelings about the use of (sic). At some papers, I think the grammar in quotes would be cleaned up (though how in this case that's possible I don't know). At others, (sic) wouldn't be used. The quote would stand for the readers to judge..<p>Edited for spelling.<p>[ May 08, 2004: Message edited by: wisekwai ]</p>

Post subject: Re: (sic)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:00 am 

Yeah, it reads cold -- almost mean-spirited. I think we have to face the possibility that a copy editor added the (sic).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:38 am 

wise man, sic is tacky, as I suspect you know. ps please check your private messages. pps killing people for using the spelling grammer is justifiable homicide in Her Majesty's sovereign state of New South Wales<p>[ April 28, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:49 am 

I'd concur. Almost any other treatment would have been better. Probably the best would have been to use a parenthetical if the publication's style permits, ending the quote with "peaceful co-existence should be (our goal)."<p>If you've been trained to regard such things as ugly, then paraphrase.<p>If you must use the entire sentence, drop the (sic) and also the apostrophe in "our's," which I think makes the speaker seem even more illiterate. At least "ours," though misused here, is a word.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:15 pm 

Or: "I hope that the lesson and message of this trial is that peaceful co-existence should be our goal."<p>That's what she's really saying in plain English, right? I'd be tempted to just change it and leave out the pretentious (sic).<p>[ May 08, 2004: Message edited by: wisekwai ]</p>

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:16 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
killing people for using the spelling grammer is justifiable homicide in Her Majesty's sovereign state of New South Wales<p>[ April 28, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]<hr></blockquote><p>You'll have to come to Bangkok and kill me then, Paul.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]