Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: You're fired! Oh, wait... you "depart"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:59 pm 

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20040401-9999-news_7m1morgan.html <p>WTF?

Post subject: Re: You're fired! Oh, wait... you "depart"
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:37 pm 

I know I'm mean, cruel and insensitive for saying this, but I can't help thinking there is something strange about an 80-year-old guy who has to be shown the door.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
I know I'm mean, cruel and insensitive for saying this, but I can't help thinking there is something strange about an 80-year-old guy who has to be shown the door.<hr></blockquote><p>You are mean, cruel and insensitive. I don't know about you, but I plan on reporting for work well beyond 80, assuming I'm alive. Retirement, especially forced retirement, is death.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:28 pm 

Really, blanp?<p>I wouldn't mind not working for the rest of my life if I could have my current income wired to my account each month.<p>I would buy a house in Hawaii (with a satellite dish to pull in MLB games) and become the next John D. Macdonald or Elmore Leonard or John Irving by writing, writing, writing with occasional breaks for reading, reading, reading.<p>And I wouldn't miss work one tiny little bit.<p>[ April 01, 2004: Message edited by: wordygurdy ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:37 pm 

This is a less-extreme case of the Mike Wallace Syndrome, in which a guy who has one of the most coveted jobs on the planet will not step aside and give somebody else a chance at it. <p>Pet peeve of mine that I've whined about on my blog a time or two. <p>It's one thing to keep your job on the rim as a means of keeping the brain sharp ... it's another to keep a death grip on a much sought-after newsroom slot. If you've had your shot at stardom you should be decent enough to give somebody else a chance rather than hogging it all to yourself for decades on end. <p>Wouldn't be the first time I was alone in such a sentiment, though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:40 pm 

Forced retirement is so 1960s.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:49 pm 

Let's not forget all those folks that have already retired -- and we all work with at least one or two -- but still come to work each day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:23 pm 

Soon enough they'll be begging us to work past 65. (I'll admit I've got 25 years until then.)<p>Someone's going to have to shell money into Social Security.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:53 pm 

If you're 40, Jon, you'll have to wait till you're 67 to collect Social Security.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:46 pm 

Between the state of my 401(k) and the way Social Security is headed, I will be lucky to even be able to contemplate retiring before old age keels me over at my keyboard. Theoretically I can collect at 62, or get full benefits at 65 (or maybe it's 66; I don't recall)--which is only about 15 years away--but unless the system is fixed, I don't see it happening. But I can dream. I have a long list of things I would like to do other than work. A prolonged bull market would help!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:43 pm 

We smokers don't need to worry about such things which is a shame because my equivalent of a 401k is doing nicely thank you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:49 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
We smokers don't need to worry about such things which is a shame because my equivalent of a 401k is doing nicely thank you.<hr></blockquote>Hi there, best friend. Can I be your beneficiary?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:01 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
Hi there, best friend. Can I be your beneficiary?<hr></blockquote>
No, but here's your <p>[url=http://au.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^DJI&d=c&t=my&l=on&z=b&q=l]bull run[/url]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:53 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:

No, but here's your <p>[url=http://au.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^DJI&d=c&t=my&l=on&z=b&q=l]bull run[/url]
<hr></blockquote>Hehe. I need one to start now and continue for at least the next 10 years. Although I've made up everything I lost in the most recent crash, by my count I am still a good $30K behind where I *should* be by now!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
If you're 40, Jon, you'll have to wait till you're 67 to collect Social Security.<hr></blockquote><p>See what I mean?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:36 am 

E&P chimes in:<p> http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000478206

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:15 am 

I'll be hitting 25 years in the current job in July and fully plan on retiring at the end of that month. In fact can hardly wait. So many other things to do in life and I have no intention of stagnating. In fact, everyone I know who has retired wonders how they ever had time enough to work! More painting, a book project, some contract communications stuff - life will be full. Hanging on until 80 sounds perverse.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]