Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do Awards Have Any Value?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:30 am 

I'm just curious. Last May I received a first-place award for headline writing from the state newspaper association in the 16,000+ daily circulation category. Others at my paper were also similarly honored — a variety of first-place to third-place finishes — yet I'm willing to bet this didn't matter too much when it came to evaluation and/or raise time.<p>So, are awards more or less just a "feather in the hat" that look good on resumes, rather than realistic considerations when it comes to pay raises and whatnot?<p>Gatekeeper<p>P.S. How many folks here are members of Kappa Tau Alpha, the national journalism honor society? (I am, but as the promotional material said, members likely won't hear much of anything from the group after being inducted into it.)<p>-30-

Post subject: Re: Do Awards Have Any Value?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:42 am 

The proliferation of contests is one of many tactics employed to avoid giving people more money.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:58 am 

A byline and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee - but not at one of the designer coffee joints. Want a raise? Go for the Guild card.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
The proliferation of contests is one of many tactics employed to avoid giving people more money.<hr></blockquote><p>Heh. Well, now that's just a little bit depressing. I did get my usual 3 percent raise, though, afterwards.<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:44 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KfitzR:
A byline and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee - but not at one of the designer coffee joints. Want a raise? Go for the Guild card.<hr></blockquote><p>Problem is, I kind of like my home state, which is one of those right-to-work states. Besides, the wages aren't half bad for a rural area. Maybe once I get at least 10 years experience I might take a crack at a larger newspaper in a more urban area ...<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:54 am 

Truths spoken in this thread:<p>Blanp: Awards were devised to avoid giving people more money. Absolutely a fact, especially at small papers.<p>Kfitz: Go for the Guild card. People grouse about the Guild, but I'm a true believer. I've been in this business since I was a teenager; college didn't interest me. I have been fortunate enough to be at Guild papers for the past 17 years of my "career." <p>I come to work every day knowing I won't be fired on a whim, that I won't be harassed by managers, that I won't have to "stick around a little" and work for free. I'd give up my library card, driver's license and credit cards before I'd give up my union card.<p>Sorry to hear that you are in a right-to-work state. Good luck escaping.<p>Congrats on your award. The money is nice, but it does have that taint to it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:10 pm 

Second what he said about the Guild. <p>I haven't paid a health insurance premium in over 10 years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:10 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
Second what he said about the Guild. <p>I haven't paid a health insurance premium in over 10 years.<hr></blockquote><p>Hmm ... is there a monthly "charge" of sorts for being part of the Guild (i.e. any funds withheld from the paycheck)?<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:12 pm 

There is a membership fee, it varies from paper to paper. Mine's less than $20 a week. I've probably paid at least 5 grand in union dues over the past 10 years, but I've probably gotten 50 grand in pay/benefits. <p>So it's a good tradeoff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:57 pm 

If there were standards, awards might have some meaning. Since the grading is on a curve, they don't.<p>They do look kinda nice on the wall, though. (Well, sometimes. A few years ago, I got first-place sports story from the CNPA while a co-worker got first-place sports photo, but they transformed our names on the plaques. I sent mine back to be fixed and it came back the same way. It's probably in a box around here somewhere. And, no, I didn't get a raise for it, and neither did the photog.)<p>[ April 02, 2004: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]</p>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:13 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tom mangan:
There is a membership fee, it varies from paper to paper. Mine's less than $20 a week. I've probably paid at least 5 grand in union dues over the past 10 years, but I've probably gotten 50 grand in pay/benefits. <p>So it's a good tradeoff.<hr></blockquote><p>Sounds like it. *shrug* Well, if I ever get desperate to leave the Upper Midwest, maybe I'll be fortunate enough to sign on with a paper like that ...<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:15 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
If there were standards, awards might have some meaning. Since the grading is on a curve, they don't.<p>They do look kinda nice on the wall, though. (Well, sometimes. A few years ago, I got first-place sports story from the CNPA while a co-worker got first-place sports photo, but they transformed our names on the plaques. I sent mine back to be fixed and it came back the same way. It's probably in a box around here somewhere. And, no, I didn't get a raise for it, and neither did the photog.)<p>[ April 02, 2004: Message edited by: Oeditpus Rex ]<hr></blockquote><p>That's kind of funny. The paper received a nice plaque for the first place headline writing award, but it has yet to be inscribed with my name or anything. It just says something along the lines of "First Place for Headline Writing — So-and-so Paper."<p>Gatekeeper<p>-30-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:29 pm 

I pay about $15 a week for union dues.The best money I spend.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gatekeeper:
That's kind of funny. The paper received a nice plaque for the first place headline writing award, but it has yet to be inscribed with my name or anything. It just says something along the lines of "First Place for Headline Writing — So-and-so Paper."<hr></blockquote>Now that you mention it, the transposition happened on personal plaques that the paper paid for in a rare display of generosity. The plaques given by the CNPA were not personalized.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:54 am 

Damn. Oliver Stone *was* right. It's a conspiracy! ---

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:33 pm 

Next time your paper congratulates you on your award, tell them you tried to use the plaque as a car payment and they wouldn't take it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:39 am 

I dunno. Isn't that too subtle? *LOL*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:40 pm 

"If bankers gave themselves prizes ('the most reckless Third-World loan of the year') with the same abandon as journalists, you may be sure that the public ridicule would soon force them to conduct the proceedings in secret." <p>-- Alexander Cockburn

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]