Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: ACES hi!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:21 pm 

Wondering how many TCEs are also members of ACES and thinking about going to the convention in Hollywood next year. (We have to get our requests in pretty early in my office for these conferences.)<p>Also wondering if there's a TCE in Grand Rapids, Michigan. If so, please e-mail me privately. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ACES hi!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:47 pm 

A number of us are ACES members but we tend to avert our eyes suddenly should they fall on someone we suspect of being a TCE.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:20 pm 

I'm an ACES member. I'm in Traverse City, Mich., now, but I leave in a week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:36 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>A number of us are ACES members <hr></blockquote><p>There are even a few board members lurking... :-)<p>I hope a lot of you will come to the Hollywood conference! TCE's blanp might even be persuaded to reprise his session with jjmoney. The registration fee is worth it just for that...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:06 am 

Thanks. What's been the best part of ACES conferences in the past? And is there a TCE hostility, I mean hospitality, hour?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:38 pm 

I went to my first ACES conference in 1998 (and have been to every one since), and I dubbed it group therapy for copy editors. :-) Besides three days of sessions on editing, headlines, usage and everything else, it's fun just to meet people from around the country who do what you do. <p>"Hospitality" hour can be found every night in the hotel bar, and it lasts a lot longer than 60 minutes. (Hospitality is quoted because you have to buy your own.)<p>Full disclosure: I'm on the ACES board, so I'm a teeny bit biased. But it's all true!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:02 pm 

Do these conferences help you do your job better? Or are they more useful as an opportunity to network?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:46 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kewpie:
Do these conferences help you do your job better? Or are they more useful as an opportunity to network?<hr></blockquote><p>You get both. The evaluations we've received from copy editors from all eight conferences to date express overwhelming enthusiasm for the workshops. The people who attend are serious about the craft -- you see few if any people in the hallways while the workshops are in session. <p>And you get to talk with veteran editors and people of some influence in the business. Where else would you have the chance to chat with assistant managing editors in charge of copy desks at major newspapers? Or Phil Blanchard and other luminaries? <p>But wait; there's more.<p>In response to the other posting about the ACES conferences, we do, by gee, by gosh, by gum, know how to have a good time. <p>Mainly in the bar. <p>ACES has a number of accomplished raconteurs in its ranks, and the stories you can hear late at night over drinks at the conference are not typically available elsewhere. Keep your eyes open in the hotel bar, and don't be shy about stepping up to the group. (And if the hotel bar proves to be too small or too costly, we may simply lay siege to a neighboring saloon. Any sudden influx of copy editors ought to empty the place right out.)<p>
My name is John McIntyre. I'm the president of ACES, and I authorized this posting.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]