Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Topic of interest
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:45 pm 

Here's a thought: A "person of interest" is a suspect, no matter what police say.<p>And no, our paper is not running stories out of Utah (thanks, chief!), but I'm sick of seeing this crop up in stories I do use.<p>Comments?<p>Sorry, Blanp, if we've done this before. A quick search didn't yield any suggestions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Topic of interest
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:22 pm 

I'd be inclined to agree, but I do not know how law enforcement defines "person of interest." If there a legal distinction, I'd be careful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:57 pm 

To further complicate matters, I've heard a couple of news organizations say or write that someone is "officially" a person of interest. As far as I know, "person of interest" is not an "official" designation.<p>The paper I work for, and I heartily agree, does not use "person of interest." A person is a suspect, or they are not. I think (not necessarily my paper's opinion) "person of interest" is a wussy way of calling someone a suspect without being held liable for slander, and it's too easy to wield the term for political or otherwise manipulative purposes. So any reference to someone being a "person of interest" just doesn't make it into the paper.<p>[ August 03, 2004: Message edited by: Jackie ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:10 pm 

Since the Richard Jewell case, law enforcement officials have been reluctant to call anyone a suspect until the arrest. "Person of interest" is the term they've been using, but "material witness" is another imperfect option. That doesn't mean we have to follow. I guess we could use, as the British say, "helping the police with their inquiries."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:17 pm 

What about "wanted for questioning"?<p>I'm never sure if that means "Why'd you kill her, Bob?" or "Hey Bob, did you happen to see a nut wandering around with a bloody pick axe?"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:25 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian Cubbison:
"Person of interest" is the term they've been using, but "material witness" is another imperfect option. <hr></blockquote><p>I believe "material witness" has a specific legal meaning. (A quick Google offers this definition: "a witness whose testimony is both relevant to the matter at issue and required in order to resolve the matter.") So not everyone wanted for questioning is a material witness.<p>Apparently, "person of interest" does not have a specific legal meaning. So you cannot assume every "person of interest" is a suspect. If a cop refers to a witness in a murder as a "person of interest" and you report that the person is a suspect, you might be in trouble.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
<p>. If a cop refers to a witness in a murder as a "person of interest" and you report that the person is a suspect, you might be in trouble.<hr></blockquote>
Correct. I know of cases where police have used the term when it was clear later that the person was never a suspect. NSW Police have a media booklet to help prevent such misrepresentations. One imagines that other jurisdictions do also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:06 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ADKbrown:
<p>Apparently, "person of interest" does not have a specific legal meaning. So you cannot assume every "person of interest" is a suspect. If a cop refers to a witness in a murder as a "person of interest" and you report that the person is a suspect, you might be in trouble.<hr></blockquote><p>Thanks, ADK. Point well taken. Still, POI doesn't tell the reader much and smacks of jargon.<p>Perhaps I'm overly sensitive... We have a reporter who loves to say someone has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge by saying John Doe "was originally charged with a superceding count of" whatever. <p>Not too helpful to the reader.<p>Thanks for the ideas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:31 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by grouch_in_training:
<p>Thanks, ADK. Point well taken. Still, POI doesn't tell the reader much and smacks of jargon.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Your aversion to jargon is healthy. As others have suggested, you don't have to parrot police jargon in a story.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]