Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Let's change this
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:31 pm 

Every time the durable-goods report is issued, tag teams of news photographers descend on the car lots and appliance stores of America, documenting consumer lust for "big-ticket items." And we use the pictures.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Let's change this
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:53 pm 

The other matter that arises with these reports is the use of seasonally adjusted figures. Explanation of what seasonally adjusted means would seem useful for readers, yet I can't recall offhand ever seeing it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:19 pm 

I thought for a minute you were talking about the trade deficit. Stories about that almost always refer to Americans' lust for TV sets, stereos and cars made abroad -- overlooking that TV sets aren't made in this country anymore, for one thing, and that a big component of the deficit is for oil and gas, and for interest paid on Eurodollars lent back to the U.S. Anyway, I change these leads whenever I get my hands on them, but nothing ever changes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:52 pm 

Some televisions are still made in the United States, but the points are well taken.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:36 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian Cubbison:
Some televisions are still made in the United States, but the points are well taken.<hr></blockquote><p>I don't think so. I think Zenith is the last American TV maker, and they don't make their TV sets here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:06 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>I don't think so. I think Zenith is the last American TV maker, and they don't make their TV sets here. <hr></blockquote><p>Zenith isn't a U.S.-based company any more. It's a wholly owned subsidiary of LG Electronics, a Korean company. (In fairness, I think Zenith still has some administrative, marketing and research facilities in the U.S.)<p>There is one company operating several TV factories in the U.S. (including here in the Pittsburgh area): It's Sony Electronics.<p>[ July 30, 2004: Message edited by: jtogyer ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:59 pm 

Thanks, JT

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:41 pm 

At any rate, let's stop using pointless pictures of people shopping for cars or appliances with every damn story that mentions "big-ticket items."<p>[ July 30, 2004: Message edited by: blanp ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]