Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: As long as we're picking on the WashPost...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:59 pm 

hed from a story in today's Style section:<p>"A Bur Under the Saddle: Michael Moore in Texas" <p>OK, I give up. WTF is a "bur"? I get an early edition, but it's still that way on the website lo these many hours later.

Post subject: Re: As long as we're picking on the WashPost...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:07 pm 

A bur is a kind of thorn that grows on weeds.
I hope this image link works<p>[ July 26, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:10 pm 

Merriam-Webster's says this under "burr":<p>1 usually bur a : a rough or prickly envelope of a fruit b : a plant that bears burs<p>I don't buy the "usually bur" business, though. I've only seen "burr," and until Lee's post I would never have imagined "bur" to be an acceptable spelling, let alone the preferred.<p>I'm also willing to bet that a copy editor at the Post was suckered into following the dictionary rather than an acceptable spelling that is far more common, leading to much headscratching by readers of reasonable intelligence. I'll be damned if "bur" was in the first draft of the headline.<p>[ July 26, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:00 pm 

A quick search of Google News for "burr under" and "bur under" shows the double-r spelling leading by 17-1, with the one being the Washington Post headline under discussion. All 18 hits employ the old "under the saddle" cliche.<p>I'd guess that a Lexis search would probably show about the same ratio.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:15 pm 

I have never in my life seen "bur." I wouldn't allow it under any circumstance. I doubt any readers thought that hed was anything but a mistake. (Lee excepted.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:09 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SusanV:
I have never in my life seen "bur." I wouldn't allow it under any circumstance. I doubt any readers thought that hed was anything but a mistake. (Lee excepted.)<hr></blockquote>
The people to beat over the head about this are Mirriam-Webster one suspects

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:06 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Until Lee's post I would never have imagined "bur" to be an acceptable spelling, let alone the preferred.<hr></blockquote><p>I would always spell it "burr". In my post, I went with what Susan quoted because there are spelling differences between Australian English and US English and I'm sure I don't know all of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:57 am 

Burr, err, brrr! I'm cold!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:41 am 

Actually, we have done stories on the "bur oak" here in the mighty Midwest. I always wanted to change it to "burr" but was told that's incorrect by the science/agriculture experts.<p>Maybe it's like the 4,127 spellings of al-Queda we've all seen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:08 am 

Merriam-Webster isn't the official source dictionary per AP style, though -- I believe that's Webster's New World. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that on hand to check burr/bur (though I would agree that I've always seen "burr" elsewhere).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:58 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CopyMonkey:
Merriam-Webster isn't the official source dictionary per AP style, though -- I believe that's Webster's New World. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that on hand to check burr/bur (though I would agree that I've always seen "burr" elsewhere).<hr></blockquote><p>I'm surprised to find that Webster's New World (3rd College Edition) prefers "bur" -- a spelling I can't remember ever seeing. It has "burr" as an accepted variation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:33 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Wayne Countryman:
<p>I'm surprised to find that Webster's New World (3rd College Edition) prefers "bur" -- a spelling I can't remember ever seeing. It has "burr" as an accepted variation.<hr></blockquote> Cripes, so does NW 4. I had no idea. It's certainly not how I learned to spell it back in the dark ages!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:57 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CopyMonkey:
[QB]Merriam-Webster isn't the official source dictionary per AP style, though -- QB]<hr></blockquote>
A clarification on that. I deliberately don't keep dictionaries from other countries on hand at the office and am presuming online M-W comes from the same tradition as the AP prescribed dictionary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:03 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:

A clarification on that. I deliberately don't keep dictionaries from other countries on hand at the office and am presuming online M-W comes from the same tradition as the AP prescribed dictionary.
<hr></blockquote><p>Different lexicon, different etymologists, different organization, different publisher, different just about everything except the "Webster's" in the title.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:28 pm 

Someone should sue. I'm going to have to fork out and hide it from the reporters, not that they go lurking through the one we do use :-)<p>[ July 28, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:05 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
Someone should sue. I'm going to have to fork out and hide it from the reporters, not that they go lurking through the one we do use :-)<p>[ July 28, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]<hr></blockquote><p>"Webster's" is not a copyright name.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:22 am 

FYI, Oxford Essential, American edition, has "bur" as a variation of "burr" and "burr" is obviously the preferred use, based on space ratio.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]