Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pulitzer alert
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:30 pm 

Headline: "How Swede It Is"<p>And so begins our four-day series on Ikea.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pulitzer alert
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:15 am 

So where were you?
"How Swede It Is" is so widespread, using it is not only stupid, it's plagiaristic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:32 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kewpie:
Headline: "How Swede It Is"<p>And so begins our four-day series on Ikea.<hr></blockquote>Some wag at the LA Times came up with the ever-so-witty "That Was Zen, This is Now" for an article about Jerry Brown's canning of longtime associate Jacques Barzaghi.<p>At least IKEA has a connection to Sweden; Barzaghi's issues with sexual harassment and domestic violence have nothing to do with Zen philosophies.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:30 am 

At the very least, keep Ikea lowercase.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:10 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
At the very least, keep Ikea lowercase.<hr></blockquote>
Why? The company consistently uses it upper case. It's a combination of the founder's initials and the first two letters of his childhood home, not unlike the brand name DKNY. I wouldn't write "Ibm" for the computer company.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:09 pm 

Yes, and it's more than a bit of a stretch, D.<p>Should we list all the companies that want their names all caps (or all lowercase)?<p>It's not pronounced Eye Kay Ee Ay; nor do we say Dickney.<p>Ikea it is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:30 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
nor do we say Dickney.<hr></blockquote>*You* may not say Dickney, but you don't work in our local Macy's.<p>And just try explaining to a sales assistant what BCBG stands for.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:13 pm 

Upon further rumination: OK, I'll concede Ikea, but I get to keep SAG, even tho' one can pronounce it.<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:50 am 

okay

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:38 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
So where were you?
"How Swede It Is" is so widespread, using it is not only stupid, it's plagiaristic.
<hr></blockquote><p>That was generated by someone much higher up the corporate ladder. So I just groaned and rolled my eyes. Any protest would have been futile. <p>Is it in poor taste to poke fun at things my newspaper does? Even when I have no ability to make changes?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:42 pm 

Excuse me, but why is Ikea opening its first store in New England such a major event?<p>Hundreds of businesses open their doors every week in New England and they're lucky to get a blurb in a Business briefcase.<p>Does Ikea advertise heavily in newspapers?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:56 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BlindsideCzech:
Excuse me, but why is Ikea opening its first store in New England such a major event?<p>Hundreds of businesses open their doors every week in New England and they're lucky to get a blurb in a Business briefcase.<p>Does Ikea advertise heavily in newspapers?<hr></blockquote>Don't know about the advertising, but the number of stores on the East Coast is fairly small overall. They're hardly a dime a dozen. Still, I don't know that it's worth four days' worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:46 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kewpie:

Is it in poor taste to poke fun at things my newspaper does? Even when I have no ability to make changes?
<hr></blockquote><p>That I cannot say. But a bit of advice: Never name names.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]