Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: why?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:25 pm 

Puerto Rico (AP): ...He is earnest but not magnetic, and starving for attention because of the Sturm und Drang between the current and former governors.<p>OK, it's in the dictionary and it means "turmoil." Solution? Sturm und Drang out, turmoil in. Why would you toss such a term into a story about Puerto Rico? No one on my desk knew what it meant.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: why?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:03 pm 

I realize I'm new here and may be out of my league, but I'm inclined to disagree; the phrase "Sturm und Drang" works for me in that sentence. I could probably make arguments either way, but unless is story is laden with vocabulary that has me flipping through the dictionary like mad, I'm all for using less-common words in a story. Not incessantly, of course, but it's nice to see periodically.<p>wirefly

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:25 pm 

I can see both ends of this one.
In a feature, knock yourself out ---<p>But, I also believe if a good chunk of readers wonder what the hell that means, then it fails. <p>I'd go with turmoil on that one. But I'm overly cautious 90 percent of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:38 pm 

Too many reporters seem to think they have license to impress readers with "clever" terms. Let 'em go write for pretentious magazines. Newspapers are no place for this. We have enough problems holding readers' attention without sending them to the dictionary.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:56 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wirefly:
"Sturm und Drang" works for me
wirefly
<hr></blockquote>
I doubt it would for H.W. Fowler.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Oeditpus Rex:
Too many reporters seem to think they have license to impress readers with "clever" terms. Let 'em go write for pretentious magazines. Newspapers are no place for this.<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, I see your point. Hmm. Like I said, I could make arguments for either side, but if the writer uses the word/term correctly, should an editor replace it solely because he feels it's too obscure? Or is this simply a peeve among editors that should be endured?<p>wirefly

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:07 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wirefly:
<p>should an editor replace it solely because he feels it's too obscure? Or is this simply a peeve among editors that should be endured?<p>wirefly<hr></blockquote>
Not a peeve. Think of it as a passion for communication.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:37 pm 

No one has reacted to Sturm und Drang as self-indulgent literary excess. Are the readers for whom we are supposed to be writing more clearly and simply going to be impressed that we know German? <p>This sort of thing tends to creep up like poison ivy, as one writer and then the next sees it and thinks its cool. "Angst" nearly drove out "worried" a few years ago, even though they don't quite mean the same thing. <p>I lose quite a few battles over inflated foreign phrases, but I consider it a duty to fight them anyway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:04 pm 

It must be the zeitgeist.<p>Not only is it putting on airs with a gratuitous German phrase, but the story's about a Puerto Rican politician. You might as well use<p>tormenta y tensión

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:28 pm 

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian Cubbison:
It must be the zeitgeist.<p>Touché.<p>I hadn't considered the fact that it is a German term, but only that it isn't commonly used. It has since occurred to me that my family is German, which is likely why I am familiar with that phrase in particular, though I'm still on the fence about reporters using less familiar vocabulary. I'd like to know, though: do you have a rule of thumb you use when you come across a word/phrase like this one? Where do you draw the line?<p>wirefly

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Zicari:
"Angst" nearly drove out "worried" a few years ago, even though they don't quite mean the same thing.<hr></blockquote>Yup. I automatically change "ennui" and "hubris" too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]