Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alms for the poor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:04 am 

Smack dab in the middle of the NY Times home page this morning is a large, revenue-generating advertisement for Kerry-Edwards (begging readers for $50 each). Call me naive, but I found it jarring.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Alms for the poor
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:51 am 

The ads also appear on the Washington Post site. I agree that they seem more inappropriate than, say, ads for garage-door openers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:45 am 

I haven't seen the ads, but what's wrong with them? Presidential campaigns need money and newspapers need to sell ads. What is jarring?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:56 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
I haven't seen the ads, but what's wrong with them? Presidential campaigns need money and newspapers need to sell ads. What is jarring?<hr></blockquote><p>There's nothing wrong with them, I suppose. They sure jump out at you, which is good for the advertiser. I would rather not see ads of any kind so closely integrated with editorial content, but I'm a dreamer.
About 20 years ago I wrote a letter of complaint to the editor of the Atlantic Monthly about ads that were being placed smack in the middle of editorial copy. The editor told me in reply that I might as well get used to it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:39 pm 

"I'm Arthur Sulzberger Jr., and I approved the sale of that ad space."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:12 pm 

So how many of the papers we work for publish ads on 1A? My paper doesn't (the EE is really against it), although I hear corporate has considered it in the past.<p>Gatekeeper<p>P.S. As for the subject at hand, I find ads smack-dab in the middle of editorial content annoying and, frankly, I think it makes a portion of the public question our professed integrity.<p>-30-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:39 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
The ads also appear on the Washington Post site. I agree that they seem more inappropriate than, say, ads for garage-door openers.<hr></blockquote><p>I noticed them some time back on the NYT site. With their placement they strike me as looking dangerously like an editorial comment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:31 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blanp:
<p>About 20 years ago I wrote a letter of complaint to the editor of the Atlantic Monthly about ads that were being placed smack in the middle of editorial copy. The editor told me in reply that I might as well get used to it.<hr></blockquote><p>Not familiar with the publication. Is it an advertising island that we are talking about here?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:58 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
<p>Not familiar with the publication. Is it an advertising island that we are talking about here?<hr></blockquote><p>I guess that's what it's called. The Atlantic was the first place I noticed one, probably because I saw it during one of those happy times James Fallows wasn't writing for the magazine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:42 pm 

We've managed to avoid them over the years by asserting that they are bad for circulation. If anyone has any empirical data, I'd be obliged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:21 pm 

>So how many of the papers we work for publish ads on 1A? My paper doesn't (the EE is really against it), although I hear corporate has considered it in the past.<p>I assuming you're asking about print. My hometown paper puts ads on Page 1, but it's a piece of crap anyway, so it's not like they sacrificed integrity or credibility with the move.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]