Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deep in the Heart of Figeac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:13 pm 

A Chicago Tribune story about the bike race starts off with a gloriously bad lede:<p>****FIGEAC, France -- There was more skirmishing off the bike than on the roads of the Tour de France on Thursday.<p>That being said, check this out from later in the story:<p>****The most electrifying sight of the day was provided by a half-dozen head of cattle who charged onto the course ahead of the peloton about 75 miles into the 102-mile stage, galloping in a tight formation that would have made any cycling team director proud before they veered off into an adjacent field.<p>...That graf should be on an editing test for several reasons. And what's this "half-dozen head" business? This is Figeac, not Abilene. There were six or a half-dozen of them, Tex. And then there is:<p>****No one was gored, but that same afternoon, Lance Armstrong found himself responding to some verbal jabs.<p>....How's that again?<p>(For the record, a friend insisted I watch some of the race with him, and I did find it kind of interesting. This in no way changes my firm belief that it belongs on the front pages of U.S. papers only if Armstrong sprouts wings and flies through the mountains.)<p>[ July 16, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Deep in the Heart of Figeac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:42 pm 

Aren't you on vacation?<p>[ July 16, 2004: Message edited by: ADKbrown ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Deep in the Heart of Figeac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:16 pm 

What's wrong with saying "head" of cattle? "A half-dozen cattle" doesn't seem quite right. But then again I'm from Abilene.<p>[ July 16, 2004: Message edited by: jbm ]<p>[ July 16, 2004: Message edited by: jbm ]</p>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]