Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: More proof ...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:22 pm 

... to my longstanding theory that not only does life imitate art, but more specifically it rehashes Monty Python sketches:<p>OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - An Oklahoma state judge frequently masturbated and used a device for enhancing erections while his court was in session, charges a petition by the state's attorney general seeking his removal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: More proof ...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:22 pm 

I've seen every English-language Python bit at least a dozen times, and of all those set in courtrooms I don't recall one that involved masturbation or sex toys. True, there was a giant model of an ant and a skating vicar, but that's about it.<p>(The one time masturbation was mentioned in a Python sketch -- "The All-England Summarise Proust Competition" -- it was edited from the tapes after slipping through in the first-run episode.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:43 pm 

There was the phrasebook sketch, however, in which someone is prosecuted for publishing a (Romanian-English?) phrasebook that translated common phrases into lewd suggestions in English.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
There was the phrasebook sketch, however, in which someone is prosecuted for publishing a (Romanian-English?) phrasebook that translated common phrases into lewd suggestions in English.<hr></blockquote><p>Like "Drop your panties Sir William, I cannot wait until lunchtime" and "My hovercraft is full of eels."<p>I fear that bringing up Monty Python on a copy editors bulletin board is akin to waking a sleeping giant. Let the refrences begin! Or not...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:08 pm 

I was thinking of the sketch involving the judge accused of lewd acts, including throwing his robe over his head and emitting low moans and sentencing an attractive woman "to be taken from this courtroom and brought 'round to my place."<p>The judge's explanation: "I haven't had it in weeks."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jjmoney62:
I was thinking of the sketch involving the judge accused of lewd acts, including throwing his robe over his head and emitting low moans and sentencing an attractive woman "to be taken from this courtroom and brought 'round to my place."<p>The judge's explanation: "I haven't had it in weeks."<hr></blockquote><p>Wasn't it "to be taken from this place and brought 'round to my place"?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:18 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pete Hahnloser:
Wasn't it "to be taken from this place and brought 'round to my place"?<hr></blockquote>Yes.<p>And why am I surprised to find so many Python fans here? I mean the kind who go beyond saying "Spam, Spam, Spam" or "It's bleedin' demised!"<p>(Those are all cricketers!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:01 pm 

Because many of us are of an age that, when the Flying Circus was getting airtime on public-TV stations in the U.S., we were young enough to find it somehow subversive. We were ripe. <p>Besides, it was funnier than Star Trek, though Python devotees are every bit as geeky.<p>One of my current operating theories (which is mine, and is a theory, and that I invented, and which I will now state . . . ) is that just about any real-life circumstance has been anticipated by a Python bit. (Actually, that's a lot like jj's theory, above.) Annoyed by your insurance company's parsimony? ("You plumped for the 'never pay' policy.") Tired of reality TV? ("I think it's disgusting... you a Member of Parliament.") Got an annoying neighbor? ("I had to bring the goat, he's not well.") Frustrated by lousy customer service? ("Did somebody say 'mattress' to Mr Lambert?") Ever deal with someone who is making too much of a small matter? ("Well, I follow the moth in the helicopter to lure it away from the flowers, and then Roy comes along in the Lockheed Starfighter and attacks it with air-to-air missiles.")<p>[ June 30, 2004: Message edited by: Grammatically Incorrect ]</p>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:08 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Grammatically Incorrect:
One of my current operating theories (which is mine, and is a theory, and that I invented, and which I will now state . . . ) is that just about any real-life circumstance has been anticipated by a Python bit. <hr></blockquote>This strikes me as almost a given. But then, I'm one of those Python geeks. :::adjusts head handkerchief:::<p>In my previous newsroom I was (in)famous for frequently saying, "That reminds me of a Python sketch." MPFC and the subsequent films were written with the intent to satirize everything the lads could think of, ergo Python is life sliced. And trodden on.<p>(Pang! Right in ze toast!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:41 pm 

Python references are pretty common in my newsroom. They do come in so darn handy, as G.I. demonstrated. Random obtuseness is often called for as well, as in walking up to male compatriots and asking "Is your wife a goer?"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]