Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: That criminal Bush
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:28 am 

The NYT story on Web today quotes Saddam Hussein at his arraignment: "You know that this is all a theater by Bush, to help him win his election." <p>I found this curious, because yesterday the NYT story had him calling Bush a "criminal" in this quote. So I checked the Post story today, and it quotes Saddam thus: "Everyone knows this is theater by [President] Bush, the criminal, in an attempt to win the election." <p>Can anyone explain why the Times deleted the reference to Bush as a criminal? <p>The discrepancies in the two quotes are especially curious in that the Times reporter was acting as a pool reporter for print media.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: That criminal Bush
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:52 pm 

To follow up: I posed the same question to the Public Editor at the Times. Weeks later, on July 27, the Times ran a correction, although I don't know if my query prompted it. The Public Editor's assistant e-mailed me the text of the correction:<p>"A front-page article on July 2 about the opening of criminal proceedings against Saddam Hussein in Iraq omitted two words in a translated comment from Mr. Hussein about the legitimacy of the court. Mr. Hussein said, "You know that this is all a theater by Bush the criminal to help him win his election. " (He did not say just "theater by Bush.") This correction was delayed for a check of various unofficial transcripts."<p>Since the Times's original version of the story on the Web included the omitted words, I asked how they happened to be excised later on. I was told that it was an oversight and that there were no official transcripts.<p>I find the correction poorly worded. It's not exactly clear what words were omitted.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:02 pm 

Of course it isn't an "oversight" if something like that gets cut out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:09 pm 

Geez, how long does it take to check "unofficial transcripts"? I managed to do it the same night, on deadline.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]