Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Eats, Shoots & Leaves
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:09 pm 

Anyone who is thinking of buying this grammar book should read the review in the New Yorker a week ago. It was panned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Eats, Shoots & Leaves
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:13 pm 

No doubt. God forbid the NYT actually advocate a book a reader could actually enjoy. Who knows what kind of chaos would ensue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:16 pm 

The official Testy Copy Editors position on the book is that we don't like it, partly because of the oft-discussed punctuation error in the subtitle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:55 pm 

I haven't read the book, but I did read the New Yorker's review, and the criticisms sounded reasonable -- apparently, errors and inconsistencies aren't limited to the title, but the reviewer's main purpose was to put the book in a bigger social context. A key sentence: “ 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' is really a 'decline of print culture' book disguised as a style manual (poorly disguised). Truss has got things mixed up because she has confused two aspects of writing: the technological and the aesthetic."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:24 pm 

My official "Me? Envious?" review:<p>The book is fine as an airplane read, but the topic (Jesus Fucking Christ, a lot of signs sure do have apostrophe errors!) is more suited to a Dave Barry column than to a 200-plus-page book. <p>And the punctuation error in the title still floors me.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]