Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ] 
 Post subject: Political contributions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:16 pm 

I'm curious if anybody's places of work have any rules regarding political contributions. <p>I'd like to give to, um, my candidate of choice, but seeing that the information one has to give when donating is public knowledge, I'm thinking that it's not a great idea that my name and the newspaper where I work would show up on the public record. (I'm also thinking that's a really long sentence.) <p>I'm sure it could also give any crank that has any "too liberal/too conservative" complaints against the paper where I work a field day.<p>I asked around the other day, and the gist is that there are no official rules against donations, but that they are generally frowned upon. <p>I try damned hard not to let my political beliefs get in the way of what I put on my pages. (I'm a weekend wire editor who gets to do front once in a while, by the way.) I'm not pissed, and I'm not really relieved; I'm just wondering how other people (who have much more experience than I) handle this, if it comes up at all.

Post subject: Re: Political contributions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:37 pm 

I think your name will only be public record if you give more than $200 to a single candidate in an election cycle.<p>My former paper prohibited participation in political events and rallies, but I was assured by the EE that I was free to write checks to whomever I wished, and I did so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:43 pm 

We are not supposed to contribute money--or time, for that matter--to any political cause or campaign other than at the most local level. I've never heard anyone complain.<p>I think the policy is a good one. And it's quite useful in cutting off solicitation requests. Telling someone "Sorry, I'm not permitted to contribute; it's a job requirement" shuts him up pretty fast.<p>[ July 02, 2004: Message edited by: SusanV ]</p>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:46 pm 

Under the Post's policy, which I support, I can't even give money to Schenectady (N.Y.) City Council President Frank J. Maurizio's campaigns, even though Frank is a friend and former "executive news editor" of mine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:21 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BobbyZ:
I'd like to give to, um, my candidate of choice, but seeing that the information one has to give when donating is public knowledge, I'm thinking that it's not a great idea that my name and the newspaper where I work would show up on the public record.<hr></blockquote>More public than you might think.<p>Fundrace.org -- neighbor search

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:37 pm 

I can understand that "bias" accusations could be linked to political donations but generally I don't think papers should be allowed to set "rules" about what employees can do in their own time or with their own money.
A year or so ago, my colleagues and I received a memo stating that we have to get permission to get a second job or freelance outside of the company.
Okay, so they don't want us moonlighting for the competition... I think we all understood that anyway.
And about a month ago, I was told that I had to get permission to do a graduate diploma ... in my own time and at my own expense.
It's none of their business, unless it affects my work. They don't pay me to work for them 24 hours a day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:51 pm 

I just hope Bush, Kerry and the rest won't starve without our contributions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:02 pm 

I can't find myself in the database Oeditpus cites. I should be there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:17 pm 

There's a bit of a time lag. At least a couple months I believe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:44 pm 

If there are rules here, I am not aware of them.<p>Tempted as I might be to contribute to friend and ex-boss Frank Maurizio's campaign (even though I don't live in Schenectady), I would be squeamish about giving to a local candidate.<p>I don't see anything wrong with giving to a campaign as a private citizen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:23 pm 

Understand that I wouldn't give Frank's campaign money because of politics. I haven't the slightest idea of what "politics" is like in my little town these days, nor can I understand why anyone would want to be a Schenectady city councilman.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:32 pm 

Understood and agreed, Phil.<p>I will admit that I am donating to this presidential campaign, which is a first for me. Of course, though my sentiments are well-known, I don't have any problem with being impartial in how I do the job.<p>Also, I don't understand how a newspaper can put an out-and-out ban on political contributions. When I worked in Milwaukee I was presented a card with an "ethics code" on it, which I promptly shitcanned.<p>
Sidelight: My mother was an assistant secretary of state for the state of New Jersey while I worked there. Fortunately for my "professional" life, she has a different last name.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:42 pm 

I'd be surprised if we didn't have a ban here on campaign contributions, but I've never checked because I don't feel right about being a wire editor and giving money to campaigns in the first place. I prefer to give money to help homeless cats and dogs, and people in need.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:09 am 

Gee...do you think for a minute that publishers abstain from giving to political campaigns? Especially considering the fortune they would save by eliminating overtime, as a certain faction has proposed.<p>[ July 03, 2004: Message edited by: Bumfketeer ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:09 am 

All I know is that BobbyZ must be making a lot more than me (at the same paper) to consider making a political donation. You been hitting the boss up for some extra dough, Bobby?<p>Even if there was room for that in my budget, as Jackie stated, I'd rather give it to someone who needed it a little more than a politician.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:36 pm 

I've contributed to several left-wing organizations in the past few months. Just $25 a pop. I see no conflict of interest in that. It might not be completely anonymous, but it's not like I'm marching in the streets or anything. So, am I also not supposed to vote? Horseshit. If the publisher can take up any cause he wants, then so can I. I know how to be fair when editing/designing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:53 pm 

I would never give any public indication of a political preference in the form of a bumpersticker or lawn sign.<p>I see nothing wrong with giving money, especially in an election I consider crucial. Which means this one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:19 pm 

We have an unwritten code that we observe the plicy of our metropolitan sister paper .... Staff shall avoid any prominent activity in partisan public causes that compromises, or appears to compromise, the journalist or the newspaper.
Membership of organisations or activity that may compromise the journalist’s or the paper’s reputation shall be declared to their section editor. Those responsible for coverage of news,
current issues and opinion shall not be members of a political party.
Staff shall not produce material for use in the paper or its related publications when they are a member of an organisation with an active interest in that issue.
Columnists and contributors writing on an issue where they have a direct or indirect interest are to declare that interest to readers after receiving approval from their section editor to
write on that topic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:26 pm 

Quite an unwritten code. Everyone has that memorized?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:57 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
I would never give any public indication of a political preference in the form of a bumpersticker or lawn sign.<p>I see nothing wrong with giving money, especially in an election I consider crucial. Which means this one.<hr></blockquote><p>Bumf speaks for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:32 pm 

Another thought just struck me reading the sports page this morning. I worked in sports for about 10 years, and everywhere I went it was common for deskers to wear apparel with the logos of their favorite teams. Some have other memorabilia from their favorite teams on their desks. Why no policy against that? Can sports people make a separation that we can't? Do sports readers not expect workers int hat department to be fair in their coverage?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bumfketeer:
Quite an unwritten code. Everyone has that memorized?<hr></blockquote>
Our Big Sister newspaper
has written it. It's not overtly said that we should look to that example but in practice we do.<p>[ July 04, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:22 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Perilous:
Can sports people make a separation that we can't? <hr></blockquote>
What's this us versus sports people thing?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:44 pm 

In sports, it's typical for articles to present information assuming most readers are cheering for the home team. Most sports reporters I've seen don't wear team gear while covering a sport.<p>The Onion knows:
Media Criticized For Biased Hometown Sports Reporting
ALBANY, NY—Members of the national media watchdog group Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting released a 255-page report Monday criticizing the American media for severely biased local sports coverage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:23 pm 

I see nothing wrong with giving money, especially in an election I consider crucial. Which means this one.<hr></blockquote><p>
Man, not
another crucial election. ... It seems we have these every 4 years or so. Sometimes every two years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:10 pm 

I again agree with Bumf. Certainly the most important election of my 28 years on Earth.<p>And in terms of America's standing in the world, the most important election ever.<p>[ July 04, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:19 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
And in terms of America's standing in the world, the most important election ever.<p>[ July 04, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]<hr></blockquote><p>That election would be one won by FDR methinks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:21 pm 

Until last year, I'd have agreed.<p>Australia is part of the Coalition of the Vaguely Amenable, so it probably isn't as important there. In most of the world, however, we will be judged on whether we affirm or reject the policies of George W. Bush.<p>[ July 04, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:40 pm 

I travel to Canada frequently. Believe me, that is indeed very true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:42 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Until last year, I'd have agreed.<p>Australia is part of the Coalition of the Vaguely Amenable, so it probably isn't as important there. In most of the world, however, we will be judged on whether we affirm or reject the policies of George W. Bush.<p>[ July 04, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]<hr></blockquote><p>
No more so than we will be judged on the outcome of our federal election, a metter on which for the purposes of this forum I have no opinion. We'll still raise a glass to you folk on July 4 regardless of how it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:04 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:

What's this us versus sports people thing?
<hr></blockquote><p>It's not Sports vs. Us. Just an observation about biases. Why is it that newspapers generally tolerate homerism in sports (or at least out-and-out support for one side or the other) and don't in news?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm 

Because sports bias is fun. It's only a game.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:27 pm 

I would never give any public indication of a political preference in the form of a bumpersticker or lawn sign.<p>I see nothing wrong with giving money, especially in an election I consider crucial. Which means this one.<hr></blockquote><p>Contributions are a public record. Writing Kerry a check is no different than putting a Kerry sign on your lawn or sticker on your car.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:44 pm 

Nah, I disagree. Anybody driving by can see a sign. It's different.<p>Besides, how do you know it's Kerry I'm giving to?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:57 am 

I again agree with Bumf. Certainly the most important election of my 28 years on Earth.<p>And in terms of America's standing in the world, the most important election ever.<p>[ July 04, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]<hr></blockquote><p>You can be excused for not being politically aware when you were 8. Or 12 ....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:02 pm 

Actually, I was politically aware from the age of 8 or so. And while the re-election of Ronald Reagan was a bad thing, the re-election of George W. Bush would be far worse.<p>When I was a kid, there were still two superpowers. Now there's only one. Furthermore, Reagan, for all his faults, rejected the neo-conservative doctrine of pre-emptive war and believed in at least attempting diplomacy.<p>The re-election of Bush would send the world a message that we think it's OK for the world's only superpower to attack countries that have never threatened it, and for that reason alone we will indeed be judged as a nation by most of the world (less so by our closest allies) based on our decision in November.<p>Kerry is merely a straw man. It's not that anyone overseas is desperate to see him elected; rather, we will be judged on whether we own up to the mistake of making Bush president.<p>[ July 05, 2004: Message edited by: Matthew Grieco ]</p>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:53 pm 

Oh yeah? I was campaigning for Adlai Stevenson before my third birthday.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]