Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newspaper report from Gawker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:53 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr> Krucoff's Data Dump: Newspaper Readers Lie<p>
Andrew Krucoff, resident statistician, looks at a Pace University study on newspaper readership, a week of Gothamist, and where we get our news -- and how we lie about where we get our news.<p>
Pace University of Lower Manhattan recently conducted a benchmark survey of New Yorkers to gauge what they think of their hometown media. There are reports, graphs, exciting stats and insights nicely summarized within PDFs on the site. (Seriously, don't be shy. Click on through!)<p>
We learned one important thing: survey respondents lie. There is no way people read the newspapers as much as reported. Forty-two percent say everyday! Craziness. Even better, the results for which newspaper people read the most often are: 38% Daily News, 31%NY Times, and 15% NY Post. Circulation numbers contradict that but clearly no one wants to admit they read the New York Post. Who would?<p>
If we want local news, we swing by our pals at Gothamist.com, where editor Jen Chung links to what she (and presumably everyone) finds interesting. We did our own analysis of the news links that shape her (and your) world. Squint as much as you want, but that's a shocking over-reliance on Newsday. <hr></blockquote><p>http://www.gawker.com/topic/krucoffs-data-dump-newspaper-readers-lie-017176.php<p>So, who wants to tell me what's wrong with Newsday?<p>J...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Newspaper report from Gawker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:59 am 

Good question. It was a very good paper years ago--it's the one I grew up on, actually--but perhaps it has changed. I don't see it much anymore unless I look at it online, which I do sometimes, and nothing has jumped out at me as particularly egregious. Anyone on Long Island here who can elaborate?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:49 pm 

I believe the problem with Newsday, from the Gawker perspective, is that it's on Long Island!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:42 pm 

Well it is now owned by Tribune Co., and I'm sure the bean counters from the Tower have worked their magic there.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]