Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Writing for no discernible reason
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:38 pm 

I think that most memoirs by journalists focus on their brushes with history, whether it's arm-wrestling with that Pope or covering a war. They rarely focus on the ordinary rhythms of daily newspaper reporting, which takes up the lion's share of journalism in towns and small cities across the country. (Dan Barry, interviewed on Poynter)<p>***That's because it's not interesting, except maybe to the person who's doing it. Barry himself proves the point in this excerpt. The purpose of an excerpt is to get readers interested in a book. On the basis of that snippet, however, I have to say I would rather read a sequel to Rinker Buck's "First Job" than read Barry's book. (I was told in 1979 by a pretty smart guy that I was too young to write a memoir. I still am. And so is Dan Barry.)***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Writing for no discernible reason
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:43 am 

You're right -- workaday newspapering is not interesting to the general public, and that excerpt is pretty bad.<p>Looks like Barry's book was some sort of exercise after a bout with cancer. I'm glad he recovered, but based on that excerpt, I'd say he should have placed the manuscript in a desk drawer and forgotten about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:51 am 

Actually I found Susan Orlean's book, "The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup" to have an excellent essay about what it meant to be a small-town newspaper editor. Read that instead.<p>Which makes me wonder, if there was a "remarkable feat" in bullfighting, would THAT go on the front page too? (See other thread.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:52 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by majorbabs:
Actually I found Susan Orlean's book, "The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup" to have an excellent essay about what it meant to be a small-town newspaper editor. Read that instead.<p>Which makes me wonder, if there was a "remarkable feat" in bullfighting, would THAT go on the front page too? (See other thread.)<hr></blockquote><p>would depend on the story and what else was available that day -- as with any story, i'd say.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]