Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help wanted
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:40 am 

Copy editor sought. Must be proficient in grammar, spelling, knowledge of style. Scapegoats preferred.

Quote:
Every once in awhile, we pull a gaffe that is almost impossible to explain. That happened with our Sunday editorial this week.

We organize stories via queues within the computer system – opinion, sports, local news, etc. For Sunday’s editorial page, we had a Sunday editorial and my editor column in the opinion queue. Both are clearly marked.

But for some reason this week, my editor column – which explained our coverage of the librarian controversy over the past week – ran where the Sunday editorial was supposed to be. It even ran with my column tagline that explains I am the editor of The Post-Star.

Both are opinion pieces, but columns and editorials are two different genres within the opinion world. The piece that ran Sunday was my opinion and not that of the entire editorial board, although it was less an opinion and more an explainer.

Obviously, one of our copy editors pulled the wrong copy for the wrong spot and then labeled it wrong.

It is hard to explain how that happened, but it did.

— Ken Tingley
[Glens Falls Post-Star]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help wanted
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 am 

"Obviously." Not to mention cutbacks on the copy desk and more work piled on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]