Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: This and that
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:09 pm 

Let's see: Your job, or mine? Hmm ... guess the reader can stand a few typos and bad art.

Quote:
Third, photography is a sore subject where I work, at least to me. The newspaper laying off its entire photo staff leaves anyone who presumes to snap a photo afterward in an awkward position. Let's be clear. There is no replacement for professional photographers. They have the skills. They have the experience. They have the eye, the connections, the equipment. I'm just as upset as anybody else about what happened but, unlike the critics, I work there, so don't have the luxury of condemnation or mockery. I have to hope there's a larger purpose, that survival of the paper is at stake. And, frankly, on this blog it's a side issue, because this is unrelated to the newspaper. I'm taking these photos, not as a protest or statement, as my friend also suggested, but out of necessity, because I have no choice, and I'm trying to do a good job because I want them to be interesting -- I like patterns, juxtapositions, curious images. Readers also like pictures, I believe, they help the words go down, and I'm hoping to create a blog that readers like. I would prefer to have an entire a team of professional photographers working for union wages at my disposal, just as I would love a union copy desk plucking out my frequent typos and misspellings. But I don't. This is a one-man show.
[Neil Steinberg of the Sun-Times]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: This and that
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:27 am 

Quote:
I would love a union copy desk plucking out my frequent typos and misspellings.

*** Because that's all copy editors should do. ***

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 pm 

I'm a writer, but I have taken some decent photos. I remember a time when I was sent out as a photog with a reporter to get the details. The way the biz has changed is just damned well discouraging. It shows up a lot even in the posts or lack of posts on Testy Copy Editors. There are fewer of us out there; fewer of us who care; maybe even worse, fewer of us who hope.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:24 pm 

We're working on changing the site a little to encourage more participation. Like everything we do, it will take a while.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]