Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Help not wanted
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:31 pm 

Dear Washington Post:

I would like to apply for the position of Washington Post ombudsman.

I understand that a key component of the job is to never respond to readers, unlike that lesser mortal, the readers' rep. I promise that, if selected, I shall refrain from responding to readers. Ever.

I will also never hold you accountable for anything, except for signing my paycheck.

New Washington Post reader representative explains why he won’t be the paper’s ombud

Quote:
by Craig Silverman Published Apr. 23, 2013 6:50 am Updated Apr. 23, 2013 11:53 am

Doug Feaver has no illusions about his new job.

“My primary mission is to respond to readers,” says the Washington Post’s new reader representative.

In other words, he is not an ombudsman.

“This is different — I’m not [charged with] holding the newsroom accountable,” he said in a recent phone interview, adding that “if there were some very difficult subjects that come up, or some obvious matter, I would try to explain how it happened and do the reporting with who is involved, but I wouldn’t be doing what the previous ombudsman was doing.”
[Poynter]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]