Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Paid space
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm 

From the latest blah-blah-blah on the future of the Boston Globe, this idea for a profit center. If the idea of charging the commentariat sounds familiar, it is; and does anyone remember Scanlan's, which tried to charge its letter writers?

Quote:
Ethan: Willow's making the point that you guys are an amplifier. What Willow's suggesting is that you could imagine a section of the Sunday Globe put together by paying for it. And then you might find that over time it becomes an interesting source of revenue.

Brian: My glib answer is yes, if we could make money off it. I'd have to picture it...

Brian Mooney (former Globe political reporter): Look at obituaries. People pay for something that we cover journalistically, selectively.

Brian: Maybe if we can make that clear, that relationship, then perhaps it could work. We're always looking to hire.

Chris Marstall: I wonder if a person would pay to have their comments positioned more prominently?

Brian: I have often pitched this idea internally, that the success of the newspaper industry would be paid pet death notices. If Willow's idea of citizen journalists willing to pay for publication of pieces would work, it's an interesting notion.
[MIT Center for Civic Media]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]